My New Gauges installed w/pics
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My New Gauges installed w/pics within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok i didn't install these myself since i wouldn't know what the hell i am doing. i had these installed ...

Registered User Solid_Snake1234's Avatar

My New Gauges installed w/pics

ok i didn't install these myself since i wouldn't know what the hell i am doing. i had these installed at XXTuning on memorial day. I know i wouldn't have thought they would have been open either on a day like that. Anyways i have 3 defi link V2 gauges they go as follow, Boost, EGT, and oil pressure. they charged me for 4.5hrs was a few hundred dollars but definatley worth it. i painted the gauge pod myself if you want i can give you the paint code that i used.
    i would have them put the egt bung in the driver's side manifold near cylinder #3 but it would have been an extra $100 plus another hour which i didn't have either of so they put it in the downpipe. I was wondering how much of a temperature number should i add to what i am reading on my guages. thx
    here they are tell me what you think

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice gauges!

Tell us about the paint code you used to colour match, that's info even people who already have gauges will love to hear too.

I think a couple hundred isn't bad at all considering the little annoyances that tend to add up. Good call on your part I think.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Nice gauges!

Tell us about the paint code you used to colour match, that's info even people who already have gauges will love to hear too.

I think a couple hundred isn't bad at all considering the little annoyances that tend to add up. Good call on your part I think.
    yea no problem i used SEM paint that's the comapny medium smoke its a bumper coater but will work for our gauge pods. the part# is 39163 I used about 4-6 coats i believe.

hey, can you take a pic of them during nighttime. with the gauges on? thanks
    " I'm a bad man"

here are some night shots just took them

the gauge color matches really well with the rest of the car

So you had XX do the entire install for you? I have been debating having them take care of my gauges for me when I get them next month. Did they take care of the whole pod and everything too? I'm planning on going with the 2-pod Autometer dash bezel with Omori Boost and EGT...

I am a bit hesitant about sticking the EGT in the manifold, so you'll have to let me know how it works out for you in the DP...

Looks good though, they match nicely with the stock... I may have to check out the Defi gauges as well... Do those ones runs off a Defi controller?

wow man. no offense, but i really cant believe you paid several hundred dollars to have three gauges installed. i really need toget into that busines.

i could see paying someone half and hour labor to weld a bung for the EGT but hell the boost gauge is one power, one ground wire (and at the radio the wires are right there anyhow) and a vacuum line t'd into just about any vacuum under the hood.

the oil pressure is a t-fitting off of the oil sender or oil press sensor and requires a copper line and one power and one ground going to the gauge, even less work if its an electric other than mechanical.

the EGT is the wires coming from the bung, and the power and ground. total install time for you would be about 1 hour (even inexperienced) and FREE, minus about 5 bucks worth of fittings and maybe 20 bucks worth of copper tubing max if it didnt come with it (or even needed it).

hell im sure people could have guided you through it.

im sorry, it just pains me to see so many people here paying for the simplest things, like oil changes, tranny fluid changes, spark plug changes, gauge installs, exhaust installs, etc. the key to modding a car is to

a) do it yourself to save money to spend on MORE mods
    b) do it yourself to have the self satisfaction (mods are only half as good and impressive if you dont do them yourself)
    c) do it yourself so you know where problems are if they occur

im sorry if i coming off harsh, but i just speak whats on my mind, and to me it seems as if you wasted a crapload of money. maybe youre rich, and you have all kinds of extra money, and if thats the case, more power to you. but remember that any rich mofo can dump 20k into a car and brag about it, but its the person that dumps half of that (saving the other half which is the cost of labor) and does the work him/herself that always gets the real credit.

next time, pm me or something and i can draw you pictures, reference shop manuals and give you tips on most of that crap. and remember, dont count yourself out and say you dont know about this crap...because i didnt either. never looked at an engine before my protege and without any help managed to install two aftermarket turbo kits, a header and exhaust before that, and tune the car myself with three different fuel management systems...

sure there are glitches, but what happens when you have an oil leak but have NO CLUE where they tapped for the oil line...and say you move or they close or wont warranty the work or youre in some other state on vacation...what are you giong to do? you have no idea how its set up so you darn sure wont have the slightest clue how to fix it, and things like oil leaks can be VERY decieving due to wind, engine fans, exhaust burning the oil off certain locations, etc.

or how about if your vaccuum line pops off, or they tapped a bad line...then what? youre going to have to tear up the thing anyhow to figure out where it goes and then youll realize how easy it couldve been.

anyhow, sorry for the long rant. i just always think people should mod their own cars for a hundred different reasons, and im sure others feel the same way.

but aside from my stupid rant, the gauge setup looks beautiful. now just get yourself a fuel pressure gauge and a wideband and youll be set.

yea they run on the control unit so far it is working out in the downpipe. yea they put the pod in and the gauges. you should call them up and ask them how much everything would be.

aside from teh bung, dont WASTE your money. i will be more than glad to help you with the install via the internet.

Very nice choice in guages. The color match is perfect, and the hood paint looks great. I got my guages from XX Tuning too, and just had them do the EGT tap. My EGT is in my downpipe too, but I am really thinking about getting it into the manifold where it really belongs.

Chime in people, I know it's supposed to be in the manifold, but let us know how far off we are by having it in the dp. Is it LESS useful or just plain USELESS in the dp??

BTW, my EGTs are about 400-500 deg celsius on the highway, with peaks around 550 deg during hard pulls on the highway (on a vf22).
    vf22 Wagon whp305/310wtq

Evo IX: 475whp

Both DYNOFLASH

Yeah I have no problem tackling the boost gauge and all the wiring / install myself, the only part I am a bit hesitant about right now is the bung... Maybe after I've had my car for more than a few months I'll have a bit more confidence, but at this point I think I would feel a bit better having some subby pro's that are known for their excellent skills working on certain things.

I am planning having them do my UP/DP install in a month or two, and if I'm going to have the bung put in the DP, I guess I might as well wait until then to do it and save some work...

why are you going to have them install something that should take you like an hour? there might be what, 10 bolts total for the up/down ippes? that **** is easy dude, do it yourself.

as for the bung - just pay them to weld the bung in, it doesnt take rocket science or some "gods gift to subaru tuners" to do it. friggin midas will do it (probably). 100 dollars MORE (god knows how much alone they charged for the EGT gauge install) is FARKING RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

also:

Q. Should I install the EGT probe before or after the turbocharger? Iíve heard before is best, but I saw an EGT mounting hole in an aftermarket exhaust system, and now Iím wondering if I can safely mount it after the turbo charger?

A. The ONLY correct position for the EGT probe is before the turbo in the exhaust manifold. There are two reasons for this: response time and accuracy. If the probe is mounted far away from the manifold, the lag between when the probe will register an increase in temperature, compared to the reading if the probe was placed in the manifold, can result in misleading EGT numbers. When used in conjunction with the Juice, this is of particular concern since the module needs to be able to de-fuel as quickly as possible to reduce EGTs when needed.

The second reason is accuracy. Putting the probe after the turbo can create inaccurate readings because the exhaust gas will cool as it travels farther away from the manifold. This discrepancy can be as much as 250 degrees, which is far too big a margin of error. Also, depending on the power upgrades you have made, the turbo itself may throw off the accuracy of a post-turbo reading. If the turbo is a restriction, excess heat will build before the turbo as hot exhaust gas backs up, while post-turbo EGT will be much lower - resulting from the reduced exhaust flow which cools even faster than it would in a balanced system. This situation can be particular dangerous because excess heat will quickly build in the motor while temperature readings after the turbo will seem almost too cool.

Remember, your exhaust pipe wonít overheat, but your engine will.

Quote Originally Posted by 05WRX0704
    why are you going to have them install something that should take you like an hour? there might be what, 10 bolts total for the up/down ippes? that **** is easy dude, do it yourself.

as for the bung - just pay them to weld the bung in, it doesnt take rocket science or some "gods gift to subaru tuners" to do it. friggin midas will do it (probably). 100 dollars MORE (god knows how much alone they charged for the EGT gauge install) is FARKING RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I appreciate your attempts to save me a buck or two, but shelling out a few bills for an UP/DP install isn't going to break the bank any more than the pipes will... If it will only take me an hour, it will only cost me like what, $80 for labor? I'd rather have them throw it on their lift and be done with it rather than having to crawl around in the dirt with my car on ramps...

Anyway, thanks for your concerns... Oh, and nice gauges! (We were talking about gauges right?)

gauges look great. where did you get them? how much did you pay for the three gauges (not including pod)?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast