How to remove ABS Light?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to remove ABS Light? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just finished removing my Brake light fromt the instrument cluster. I took out the cluster and pulled the bulb. ...

How to remove ABS Light?

I just finished removing my Brake light fromt the instrument cluster. I took out the cluster and pulled the bulb. The reason I did this was because I pulled my ABS fuse and it was always staying on along with my ABS light. Upon inspecting the cluster, it seems that the ABS bulb is somewhere else and not easily accessible. Can someone please tell me how I get to the bulb? Also I could not get the green connectors off of the cluster to pull it out and inspect it.

Thanks
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If all else fails.. pop the clear plastic and slap some black elec tape

why did you pull the ABS?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

i pull my fuse in the winter. don't remember the "brake" light coming on though... usually that's a light for the e-brake but my mind is groggy so i can't recall.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I pulled the ABS fuse becasue it almost killed me in the winter when it went off for no reason and almost sent me through an intersection. No i was not speeding, I was goign under 5 mph and i couldnt stop the car. Plus it is annoying as heck when you are braking lightly and hit a bump and it goes ballistic.

As for the tape, I thought of that but I dont think I wil do that. I had the cluster apart and the ABS bulb is under the motherboard thing so I dont think i can pull it.

The e-brake light and the ABS light come on when the fuse is pulled.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    why did you pull the ABS?
    because if you know how to drive it's absolutely useless and actually causes more danger than good.
    I also pull that stupid fuse if i see any snow on the ground
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I don't know if the ABS is one of them, but when I had my cluster open I noticed along the bottom, several of the lights had LEDs soldered on to the PCB instead of just bulbs, so you might be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    because if you know how to drive it's absolutely useless and actually causes more danger than good.
    Do you have anything to back this up? Not trying to hassle you, but disabling ABS just seems like a bad idea.

ABS is there for a reason--if your wheels stop moving before your car does, then you're skidding, and if you're skidding, your tires aren't stopping you effectively. Remember high school physics? Coefficient of friction decreases when the two surfaces are sliding.

When the ABS detects that a wheel has locked, it lets up on the pressure quickly to the point just before the wheel would lock. This makes sure the part of the tire that's touching the ground never slides, and gets the best traction it can.
    Last edited by Chris Biagini; 06-03-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biagini
    Do you have anything to back this up? Not trying to hassle you, but disabling ABS just seems like a bad idea.

ABS is there for a reason--if your wheels stop moving before your car does, then you're skidding, and if you're skidding, your tires aren't stopping you effectively. Remember high school physics? Coefficient of friction decreases when the two surfaces are sliding.

When the ABS detects that a wheel has locked, it lets up on the pressure quickly to the point just before the wheel would lock. This makes sure the part of the tire that's touching the ground never slides, and gets the best traction it can.
    that's true, but subaru's normal abs system is very overzealous, and when you combine it with the terrible re-92 tires they give us and some snow, you can find yourself sliding helplessly into intersections quite often - even when you apply brakes from 10mph with just the weight of your shoe lol it can set it off. basically it sends itsself into "ice mode" easily, which means that it prevents you from modulating pressure while it goes through few cylces of releasing brake pressure and applying it, taking i suppose 3 seconds per cycle.

i slid into intersections 4 times at the beginning of winter, definitely driving slowly before applying the brakes (meaning 10-15mph) . pulled the fuse and no trouble since (replaced it when the snow melted)
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla
    i slid into intersections 4 times at the beginning of winter, definitely driving slowly before applying the brakes (meaning 10-15mph) . pulled the fuse and no trouble since (replaced it when the snow melted)
    Go figure. Can't argue with first-hand experience!

i wanted to add that i'm not suggesting for anyone to tamper with their brake systems - that's just my experience with this car. i'm not the only one though! also every time it happened, it was a very slow speed, very light brake pedal effort. keep in mind that in poor conditions i drive extra cautious anyway, awd or not, so it would be slow speed/light effort anyway... but it was like the abs set itsself off before the tires even had the slightest chance to grip - it was that sudden

i do believe that the tires are much to blame; i'll have different tires for winter next... winter and i'm going to do some carefull experimentation to see how things change.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biagini

ABS is not there to help you stop quicker, it helps you not to lock the wheels. I had same situations when i couldn't stop on just a touch of snow when you could even block the wheels and stop faster. Pulled the fuse and have no problems now, and i can stop waaaaay faster than with ABS without even locking the wheels.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.