Stock Radio screwing up

This is a discussion on Stock Radio screwing up within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This has happened twice now. Basically I get in the car, turn it on and the radio/cd changer turns on ...

Stock Radio screwing up

This has happened twice now. Basically I get in the car, turn it on and the radio/cd changer turns on but there is no output to the speakers at all. The first time I turned the key off and back on and it worked. The second time it didnt work that morning and didnt turn back on until I drove home from work, it just kicked back on.

I know its under warranty, etc but I dont want to deal with the drop it off at the dealer for a day and hearing "can't duplicate problem".

Anyone dealt with this and/or fixed it?
    04 JBP WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You need to trace the problem. If you have time, try and see if you have a blown speaker. A blown voice coil could cause a ground, which then shuts down the amp/audio in the radio. Now a blown speaker may even play fine....when working so the only way to pinpoint would be to disconnect all, then hook up each one, one by one, while playing a low frequency signal, like a bass disc. The reason is that low sounds will cause max excursion in the cone, and will most likely reveal a blown speaker. If this does not solve the problem, check for rubbed/exposed wire behind the deck. While it's out, check the plug and see if all pins are straight and if it's plugged in securely.

Do you have anything connected to the radio like an Ipod, MBC/EBC etc....?

First and foremost though, replace the radio fuse, ususally a 10 amp and see if the problem persists.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Thanks for the reply, Id almost stopped checking the thread.

I am pretty sure there is something strange going on with the left rear speaker. Its been staticy/sounding like a blown speaker recently. It hasnt done it in a while though. Maybe Ill replace the two rear speakers and see what happens. I have the premium sound with the sub/amp and Im kind of pissed that it would blow a speaker, especially since I hardly EVER have it really loud.

As for the fuse Im pretty sure that isnt it because the radio still turns on, the display works and its actually playing the cd or radio station.

There is nothing physically connected to the radio. Its all stock.
    Last edited by cbkoontz; 05-30-2005 at 04:07 PM.
    04 JBP WRX