diagnose these rattles please!

This is a discussion on diagnose these rattles please! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; okay after 32,000 miles, my car has a couple rattles. The first seems to be coming from the clock area ...

diagnose these rattles please!

okay after 32,000 miles, my car has a couple rattles.

The first seems to be coming from the clock area on top of the dash. I've taken the clock housing out and can't tell what is rattling. I even went so far as to put some silicone caulk on the plastic retainers thinking they were rattling but the rattle is still there.

The second is coming from the glovebox. If I touch and hold the glovebox up, it stops. Any idea how to permanently silence that?

The third is coming from below my driver-side mirror somwhere... maybe in the dash around the fuse panel. It's higher frequency than the others. It's the most frustrating one because it rattles at the slightest vibration.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can relate to the glove box one. What I have come to discover is that the lock on the glove box is what is actually rattling. If I place my finger on the lock when I hear the ratle, it instantly stops. The quickest solution I found was to lock the glove box, this tightens up the lock mechanism a little and keeps the rattle down.

Either that or turn up the radio.

hmm thanks.

i will have to see if I can shim it with some sort of rubber tape or caulk. rattles bug me. i find myself driving with the windows up and stereo off, just trying to pinpoint rattles. heh.

I think that would drive me nuts. Ignoring them works best for me. Try to listen to the turbo more and the rattles less! I am sure some minor adjustments (i.e. rubber tape) will eliminate the glovebox rattle for ya.

tan