My en-gauging problem

This is a discussion on My en-gauging problem within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Disclaimer: I have read the gauge threads on clubwrx and i-club until I am blue in the face. I have ...

My en-gauging problem

Disclaimer: I have read the gauge threads on clubwrx and i-club until I am blue in the face. I have not found the answer so here goes...

I have decided to go with the stock dash-mounted gauge pod and the Derres Catalano mask for 52mm (2-1/16") gauges.

The gauges I want in the pod are EGT, Fuel Pressure and Oil Pressure. (I'll be using the stock boost gauge.)

I want all the gauges to be electrical.

I want them to match the stock gauge appearance and lighting as closely as possible.

The gauges should read in English units.

Problems with this approach:

Defi, Greddy and other import-slanted gauges are in metric.

The Omoris (stock look) don't have a fuel pressure gauge.

Autometer (Derres' mask is made for these) don't have anything that looks close to stock.

Is there a solution to my problem or do I have to compromise?
    "A good friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move a body."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can change your "stock" look. get white overlay for the dash and I think the Autometer Phantoms would match that look. It won't be electric, but they should all match with units we know, and it'll be way cheaper than the import gauges. I think the Autometer Sport Comp matches nicely w/ the stock dash (but i'm not as particular).

So the short answer is, (after many hours of research on the gauge question, myself), yes, you do have to compromise.

Just a suggestion.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

QuickSilver: Thanks for the help. I looked again at the Sport Comp series and I think that will do just fine. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

Just curious, what gauges did you end up with after your search?

I'm still in the process. I purchased a Sport Comp boost gauge already and I plan to mount on the steering column (once it arrives). That way it's next to the TAch (helpful for me), and the hose can be hidden under the dash way easier than the pillar mount installation.
    I plan on the same type of gauge for: EGT, Oil pressure, oil temp (maybe a volt meter instead), on the pillar (w/ autometer tri-pillar pod)...I need to save up more cash (I'm trying to get a ring for my g/f).
    My concern is the EGT (it's expensive w/ sender ~$120), and the "proper" install requires a tap on the manifold and I'm just not too keen on drilling a hole in my engine. More to think about.
    I also wanted electric gauges for the warning feature, but it's too expensive. I can't justify $600 plus for something that can be done for less than $300...just for looks and a warning light.

As you can see, I've been thinking about this a lot.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

au contraire (sp?)

Defi does make english-unit gauges. A bit more difficult to find, but they exist.

Don't mean to go off topic...but Rotinom...isn't that korean? and back on topic...I think a better term for english units is just plain American units cause everywhere else (including England, I think, use metric as well)...got to keep in mind this is an international forum

BTW...those gauges (Defi) are still too over-priced IMO.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Quicksilver: First off on the g/f; if she's "the one", splurge on the ring. After 13 years of marriage, I look at my wife's ring finger and wish I had sold more stuff to get her something nicer and bigger. Back then it seemed like a huge amount and now not so much.

I don't really think oil temperature is necessary. In most cars I've had that measure both, the oil temp remains a constant "water temp + some number of degrees". If oil temp goes up, then water will too.

I don't think the EGT probe hole is that big of a deal. It's in the exhaust manifold so it's not really "in" the engine. Though it seems the preferred spot is in the passenger side, the driver side is easier to get to and almost as accurate.

As for electric gauges, I didn't mean the ones with memory or warnings. I just don't want any fluids crossing the firewall into the passenger compartment. Electric senders prevent that.

rotinom: I stand corrected on the Defi.

We're going off topic, but cool.

I was fortunate enough to have the stone purchased for me by my mother before she died. Since she's not here to share in the joyous union, that stone is more valuable to me than anything I can buy with money. So, I'm splurging on the setting. It's being custom designed (to my specs) and made by a jeweler I know.
    you're right...nothing is more important than my girl...the ring symbolizes a lot.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

re: Stuff

I believe the actual term is SAE not english, or american. My mistake.

Not sure if rotinom is korean or what. I use it, because I needed a username for some web site (maybe UO), and looked straight ahead at my "monitor". Turned it around, and ended up w/ "rotinom". Lame, I know but I'm a geek :P