Installed my new speakers....

This is a discussion on Installed my new speakers.... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently just installed the Infinity Kappa 6.5 and 5.25 in my 02 WRX. I run it on Clarion receiver ...

Installed my new speakers....

I recently just installed the Infinity Kappa 6.5 and 5.25 in my 02 WRX. I run it on Clarion receiver and kicker 4 channel amp with the stock sub. My system seem to have a lot more bass but lack of vocal sound. My oem speakers probably sound even louder (with less bass) then my Infinity. The bass is taking over and I need more high pitch sound. Should I upgrade my stock tweeters and get an EQ?
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You should've bought component speakers at the beginning. The problem is with the imaging of the speaker. The tweeter is playing fine, but it is very directional, unlike low frequency sound, meaning that it'll play loudest the direction you point it. Try swiveling the tweeter up towards the driver, if that doesn't help, you can add a tweeter (not ideal) to get you by until a component set is within your budget.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

if you have a four channel amp, you can adjust the frequency of your speakers it should be labled hpf, or lpf
    Josh
    '04 WRX
    PM me about Porting and Polishing!
    www.grimmspeed.com
    www.mnsubaru.com

VR4
    boost the quiet frequencies on your clarion if it does that. Or else use the amp to calm down the bass
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

More than likely, the Infinitys have a higher spl than the stock tweeters. It would be a good idea to go ahead and get some Infinity tweeters to replace the stockers. I'm assuming the Infinitys you bought are coaxials. Infinity coaxials sound best in the vocal to high range. Are you sure you are not using the LPF on your amp?

If you bought component 6.5 and 5.25s, then the spl of the speakers will be your problem. Just match them up with some Infinity tweeters.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

you used spacers to put those 6.5 and 5.25 right?

Quote Originally Posted by aznburn210
    That is correct.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Quote Originally Posted by boosted scoob
    More than likely, the Infinitys have a higher spl than the stock tweeters. It would be a good idea to go ahead and get some Infinity tweeters to replace the stockers. I'm assuming the Infinitys you bought are coaxials. Infinity coaxials sound best in the vocal to high range. Are you sure you are not using the LPF on your amp?

If you bought component 6.5 and 5.25s, then the spl of the speakers will be your problem. Just match them up with some Infinity tweeters.
    What is LPF on my amp and what is SPL?

Quote Originally Posted by aznburn210
    I bought spacers but the installer didn't even use it. I went home and open the door panels up to see how they did it. It seem as though they cut the door to make it fit. However, the stock speakers size is almost, the same exact size as my new 5.25 and 6.5.

Quote Originally Posted by WiCkeDrEx
    LPF = Low Pass Filter
    SPL = Sound Pressure Level, usually measured in decibels.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by WiCkeDrEx
    Basically, if you have the LPF enabled on your amp, all you're going to get from your speakers is the low frequencies. Depending on the amplifier, this can range anywhere from 1.2kHz and below to 80Hz and below. Most likely it would sound like the speakers were muffled if you had this enabled to all the speakers.

SPL means the speaker will produce a certain decibel level per meter given a certain wattage. So if you have 2 different speakers given same wattage, one with SPL higher than the other, that one will be the louder of the two and the most noticeable to the ear.