Check Out this Custom Shifter Plate!!
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

This is a discussion on Check Out this Custom Shifter Plate!! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I cooked up a shifter plate that works with the STi trim and the STi short throw shifter. ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NO-VA
    Posts
    16

    Check Out this Custom Shifter Plate!!

    Hey guys,

    I cooked up a shifter plate that works with the STi trim and the STi short throw shifter. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it, because I am thinking about making a couple more to sell to anyone who is interested. Just installed a prototype last night (that's the one in the pic). I am hoping to make one up in brushed aluminum or possibly titanium, but I actually think the black color goes pretty well with the trim. Let me know what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxshifter.jpg  
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    wow that is freakin awesome i want one!!! as long as it works and doesn't break!
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #3
    Registered wrxinthehouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    awdpirates.net
    Posts
    3,086
    A lot of people were asking about those a while back and so you should have some sort of customer base.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. #4
    Registered User PlatinumWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,581
    Adding gates to the shifter is A HUGE MISTAKE!!!

    I should clafiry...

    Have you ever driven a classic Ferrari? The only thing you can complain about is the gated shifter. Ferrari now make non-gated shifters on the new models and the paddle shift is a god sent!

    -Jim
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  6. #5
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Adding gates to the shifter is A HUGE MISTAKE!!!

    I should clafiry...

    Have you ever driven a classic Ferrari? The only thing you can complain about is the gated shifter. Ferrari now make non-gated shifters on the new models and the paddle shift is a god sent!

    -Jim
    whats so bad with the gates?? i think they look awesome and as long as it doesn't hurt the driveability..i tried to make that for my car got half done snagged a dead end and stopped
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #6
    Registered User PlatinumWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,581
    Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    whats so bad with the gates?? i think they look awesome and as long as it doesn't hurt the driveability..i tried to make that for my car got half done snagged a dead end and stopped
    Speed, I can make heads nor tail of this sentence.

    Put gates on: be my guest. The Subaru tranny is not designed for them and it will be a problem.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #7
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    Originally posted by PlatinumWRX


    Speed, I can make heads nor tail of this sentence.

    Put gates on: be my guest. The Subaru tranny is not designed for them and it will be a problem.
    ok let me explain.....i think that gates look good.....i was asking why u said the gates weren't good for the car....and in an OT random quote i said that i tried to start making them but i hit a snag and i gave up
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NO-VA
    Posts
    16
    If I'm wrong, chalk this one up my ignorance, but I don't think there is inherent about the Subie tranny that prohibits a gated shifter plate from being used. If anything, I would think it is the shifter itself, not the transmission that would be the impediment to putting one in. That said, I really doubt that the stock shifter would be able to accomodate a shift plate (the play in each slot would be too much, I'd guess, although I haven't tried it).

    Personally, I've been driving around with some form of this shift plate for months now, with no transmission problems (yet). Is there are performance benefit? No. Is there any aesthetic benefit? I think so, but admittedly it is a matter of taste. I thought it looked pretty cool, much better than I even expected when I started working on it.

    By the way, I'm curious about what the problems were with the gated shifter on the Ferrari (I have never had, and might never have, the chance to give on a spin). Did it get in the way of shifting, did it bend/break, etc?

    Glad some of you like it.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #9
    Registered User PlatinumWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,581
    Originally posted by yihoo
    Personally, I've been driving around with some form of this shift plate for months now, with no transmission problems (yet). Is there are performance benefit? No. Is there any aesthetic benefit? I think so, but admittedly it is a matter of taste. I thought it looked pretty cool, much better than I even expected when I started working on it.

    By the way, I'm curious about what the problems were with the gated shifter on the Ferrari (I have never had, and might never have, the chance to give on a spin). Did it get in the way of shifting, did it bend/break, etc?

    Glad some of you like it.
    OK, for the STi/Kartboy WITH Bushing crowd, I'd say you are 90% fine with the gates, they might help even!

    The Ferrari's would mis-shift a lot and became known as a "driver's machine" for both performance and because, if you couldn't drive it, you'd smash a synchro in a heartbeat.

    -Jim
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #10
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    my thoguhts were if you made it wide and long enough for each gear then you would be fine. Not to make it super thin and just barely long enough...somthing would have to be done so you dont see the cup where the shifter sits in though...any ideas
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #11
    Banned dark_rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Hub
    Posts
    12,157
    looks really neat! i dig it. i don't think you'll have aqny problems as long as your gates are cut accurately, and you're not rubbing.

    my only concern would be dust and dirt falling b/w the gates. have you considered stretching a plastic bag under neat the plate (out of sight of course) to keep any dirt from getting into the great and the elbow?

    dR
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    2,081
    yihoo, have you experienced much in the way of transmission noise? R-speed makes a gated shiftplate for the Miata, and they even warn on the product page that much more tranny noise makes it into the cabin, and you can't shift as quickly. Naturally, it may be different with yours, just thought I'd ask.

    Sidenote: with the Ferrari gated shifter, I have been told (but couldn't verify or disprove after a quick web search) that the gate is an integral part of the system, used to guide the selector into place for each gear- that if you removed it and replaced it with a "tent", you would be unable to shift. Again, unverified, if someone wants to do the research to prove/disprove, I'd love to see it...

    Edit: you know, that plate would look really sweet in carbon fiber, to match your trim....
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #13
    Registered User PlatinumWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,581
    Originally posted by AutoXJunkie
    Sidenote: with the Ferrari gated shifter, I have been told (but couldn't verify or disprove after a quick web search) that the gate is an integral part of the system, used to guide the selector into place for each gear- that if you removed it and replaced it with a "tent", you would be unable to shift. Again, unverified, if someone wants to do the research to prove/disprove, I'd love to see it...

    Edit: you know, that plate would look really sweet in carbon fiber, to match your trim....
    THIS IS CORRECT. Old style linkages lacked support from the bars, so they had gates.

    -Jim
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NO-VA
    Posts
    16
    yihoo, have you experienced much in the way of transmission noise?
    no excess transmission noise that i've noticed. It may just be that I have been driving around with this plate for so long I don't notice a difference anymore.

    you know, that plate would look really sweet in carbon fiber, to match your trim....
    A CF look would definitely be cool. I am afraid that a complete CF fabrication (as opposed to a CF faux-face) probably wouldn't fly, just because I doubt the slot fingers would be able to last. But putting a CF overlay on a steel or aluminum plate would be great. I was thinking that once I make a batch of these, I would do it in a thick aluminum. But really the possibilities for materials and appearances are endless. CF look, billet steel, titanium, brushed aluminum, etc etc.

    my only concern would be dust and dirt falling b/w the gates. have you considered stretching a plastic bag under neat the plate (out of sight of course) to keep any dirt from getting into the great and the elbow?
    A plastic bag would be a good idea for a temporary fix until I get something a bit more permanent. I was toying with the idea of using a thin brush-like "beard" underneath the slots, to keep most of the major debris out. So far haven't had much problem with dirt, loose change, random bolts, falling in there.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    103
    Idea: What about a flat or domed plate underneath the gates? That way, change, dirt, etc.. wouldn't find its way into the ball itself. It'd hide the ball, and could look pretty cool also.

    Just an idea...
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •