salvage title?

This is a discussion on salvage title? within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; Does salvage title mean that the car has been 50% damaged or more? What are the bad things about salvage ...

salvage title?

Does salvage title mean that the car has been 50% damaged or more? What are the bad things about salvage titles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

IIRC, it means that the cost to repair the vehicle is more than the car is worth. So, your statement would be true. Frame damage is something to consider. Also, a wrecked car never drives the same again.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

It depends on the state as to the % of damage that totals the car, usually 60% of the value of the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5spdfrk
    Also, a wrecked car never drives the same again.
    It all depends on the workmanship done on the car. When my father had his body shop, we bought some salvage cars for our own use. We made sure nothing was half-a**. My mother is driving a wrecked four runner, that needed a quarter panel and front a-arms. I have seem some shoddy repairs on cars that still have a good title(non-salvage). You should try to find out what was damage/repaired on the car and have a qualified shop look at the repair, if you are unsure of it.

There are many different factors that lead to a salvage title. The car can be a theft recovery, the car can be flood damage, rejected repairs (the owner was unsatisfied with the repairs)

My brother has an impreza wagon that was totaled because of rejected repairs. The front sheet metal was replaced and repainted. The car looks perfect, but the insurance company was getting antsy because repairs were taking so long and they were paying on a rental for the owner. The insurance adjuster noticed a slight ticking noise in the engine and claimed the motor was bad, totaling the car. When we got the car, the ticking went away after the car ran for a while. So my brother got a great deal on the car.

Basicly what I am saying is that if you are leary about buying a car with a salvage title, then don't buy it. The resell of the car will be awful. But if you are buying the car for yourself and you are going to drive it, then as long as the repairs are done properly don't worry about it. If you believe that a wrecked car never drives right, then why are there collision centers repairing cars?

Thanks for your input. It is always good to hear from the perspective that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycraig
    If you believe that a wrecked car never drives right, then why are there collision centers repairing cars?
    Not just wrecked cars, but totaled cars. A busted hood, bumper, and fender will drive just fine, but I thinking more serious damage. The reason collision places are repairing cars is for the money, not just to make a car "new" again. I'm sure you know this as well as I do, that a good collision place is hard to find anymore. Most businesses are more worried about fast turn around and insurance payout than whether their craftsmanship is great or not.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

I Support ClubWRX
    If a car is fixed correctly, it will drive the same, if not better. A car is a series of parts bolted, and welded together, it doesn't have a soul. That urban legend comes from many different sources. First of all, the methods of repairing damaged cars today are far more advanced than just ten years ago. Unfortunately also, the repair shops that do shady work have clouded the industry. Normally damages have to exceed 60-80% of the vehicles worth, depending on the state, and the insurance company. Total loss damages will vary though, depending on the insurance appraiser, and what type of parts they write for. If it is an insurance company like Geico, they will push used parts, and tend to save more cars from total. A salvage title simply means that the car was in an accident/flood/theft-recovery/fire that was expensive to fix, rebuilt, and sent through a state inspection to make sure the car was roadworthy, and reassembled with legitimate parts. Say you have a 2002 WRX with 20k miles, and a 2005 WRX with 20k miles both in identical 10k damage accidents. Odds are the 2002 will be deemed a total loss and sent to auction, when the 2005 will be repaired by a shop and returned to the owner. Just to clarify, a total loss has more to do with value of the car than the extent of damage.

Another problem with having "salvage" on your registration, is a problem with insurance. If you are financing the vehicle, your lien holder will probably require you to carry physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision coverage). Some insurance companies, including the one I work for as an underwriter, will not accept physical damage coverage on salvaged vehicles.