how to drive manuel - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on how to drive manuel within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; Wow. I guess I learned a little different than most of you. I learned how to start with a cluch ...

Wow. I guess I learned a little different than most of you. I learned how to start with a cluch and shift and everything on a quad, and the first stick I acctually drove was a sand rail. I didn't drive a manual on the street until i was 15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

does a golf car count

learned mine on 86 CRX.
    i burned my friend's CRX clutch too much, that after
    few days, he told me that his car is on sales with burned clutch.
    -_-
    03' C i

you gotta learn with someone. it's not gonna happen over teh internets dude.

i learned on my friend's 86 bronco II. really learned when i got a mk3 jetta.

a friend of mine is infamous for going to a jeep dealership, buying a stick wrangler, and driving it home without having ever driven a manual car before. she somehow got it home without melting the clutch, and drove it sh!tty for like a month or so.

I learned on a 350z, that was really fun

Quote Originally Posted by Pastapuck
    I learned on a 350z, that was really fun

+1

well acutally, the first car I tried it on was a vw beetle (the new kind, haha) but I really got my experience on the Z. I think the Z is alot easier to learn on than the wrx (still not an easy car to learn on since the clutch is pretty stiff) but the wrx is tougher because its much easier to stall, especially when its really hot outside, I've noticed the car doesnt move much.

I learned on my wrx. At the time I was 19 and had never driven stick in my life. Still haven't driven any other manual car. Why is the WRX so difficult to learn on? I have nothing to compare it to so I don't really have an opinion.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    Aspen White 5MT... bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by jonxpak
    i have some couple questions about driving a manuel car...First off...how do you drive one? and second how do you shift and when do you shift? How do you know when to shift? When do you shift down? also when your going about ...lets say 70 miles on the freeway and you suddenly stop what do you do then and do you have to shift down?

i jus got my license..kinda late and i been thinking about getting a wrx i might get a manuel but i don't know how to drive one
    Who is this manuel kid. Is he a spanish lad??? JUst playing..lol. I cant spell for **** myself..

I learned on a older Supra then the RX-7.
    Quote Originally Posted by timber
    I think I would be more worried about my butt if it was Brian..
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I was rect0wned.

i learned early with quads and motorcycles/dirtbikes...then my first vehicle was a 1989 s10
    2005 STi, WRB with Gold Wheels, MY05 Cobb Accessport Stage 1 , JT-X Carbon Fiber Hood (CF1), 20% Tint, Invidia N1 Race Catback, Cusco front and rear stut bars, Cleared Headlights, Pink "i" Symbol, JDM Hazard light button, Black "STI" License Plate piece, Mine's Carbon Fiber Spoiler

just pick him up and drive him around. i've driven manuel to the mall, and to work a few times. it's really not that hard as some people think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by driverdave
    just pick him up and drive him around. i've driven manuel to the mall, and to work a few times. it's really not that hard as some people think it is.

haha/ This is too much...

I learned on a s2000 and that was a pain in the ass. also my stupid dad started me on a hill.

I learned in a saturn over about 2 weeks when i was 16, then drove auto for about 9 years, then just bought a manual wrx one day. At the time, i couldn't drive stick at all, it was learning all over again.

Get a good concept of what the actions are really doing, (ie: what the clutch pedal really is, how it "connects" your tranny/gears to the engine and how shifting is putting you into other gears) and i think it is much easier to learn. I think it's more about understanding how a transmission works, so you can know what effect mistakes will have and you won't get flustered by new situations.
    '04 PSM Wagon. Silver Wagon Club? What is that? Am i in it?

Quote Originally Posted by dFunk
    is it normal when you're driving and about to shift around 3.5-4k and when u let go of the gas and press in the clutch that the rpms will jump a little higher? i always wondered why mine does that at higher rpms and if it's normal.
    Yeah, my '04 does that too. I wasn't sure if i was somehow unconsciously rev matching or what. I think it might also be the throttle response. If you push the clutch in quickly after letting off the gas, it's possible that you let the strain off the engine when you push the clutch in, but the throttle is not responding to the release of the gas pedal as quickly, so the trailing end of the gas flow is enough to make it rev up a bit.

Personally, i kinda like it. It gives you one more moment before the revs fall and makes upshifting a little but smoother.
    '04 PSM Wagon. Silver Wagon Club? What is that? Am i in it?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast