how to drive manuel - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on how to drive manuel within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; Originally Posted by roo21 how to handle a stick, duh Yeah, now that I think about it that's obvious ......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by roo21
    how to handle a stick, duh
    Yeah, now that I think about it that's obvious ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by crazycam31
    P.S. The WRX is a very hard car to learn on.
    I AGREE. the wrx is much more powerful than my old Nissan SE-R.
    Last edited by lugee; 07-01-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lugee
    I AGREE. the wrx is much more powerful than my old Nissan SE-R.

yea its more powerful

but God damn it didn't have a forgiving clutch. it would jerk so much but with the tiburon, it would shift as if i were a pro.

haha +1 for hyundai

-albert-
    Straightaways are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by EVOVIII
    You are going to try to drag race people with a V6 Mustang? Dude, get the GT please, dont embarrass yourself.

i learned how to drive stick in my wrx, with the help of my friends and myself.. took about 2 weeks before i was tearing thru gears with no problems
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Banned
    You drive Manuel to a plot of land and have him build your new house.

man, manuel sure gets around a lot. kinda dirty. i only say the wrx is hard to learn on because the clutch is so heavy (or if that's wut u mean by forgiving). everytime i drive my friend's mazda3 i always let of the clutch too quickly because it's so light and peel out (ff car).

Quote Originally Posted by Kheovnien
    man, manuel sure gets around a lot. kinda dirty. i only say the wrx is hard to learn on because the clutch is so heavy (or if that's wut u mean by forgiving). everytime i drive my friend's mazda3 i always let of the clutch too quickly because it's so light and peel out (ff car).
    i dont think its cuz its heavy, its the AWD system preventing you from peeling out, if you let out the clutch at a low rpm like u could do in the mazda, you will bog and run the risk of breaking somehting, thats just how AWD is, its parasitic so to say
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

parasitic drag has to do with loss of wheelhorsepower because of the 4-wheel friction instead of only 2. the clutch in the wrx is harder to press in and out of than most cars period. i get foot cramps in traffic on the freeways from holding it in and releasing it so ofter. the mazda3 (and my friend's civic si) clutch doesn't require as much effort to push in and i end up releasing it quicker because im used to releasing a heavier clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheovnien
    parasitic drag has to do with loss of wheelhorsepower because of the 4-wheel friction instead of only 2. the clutch in the wrx is harder to press in and out of than most cars period. i get foot cramps in traffic on the freeways from holding it in and releasing it so ofter. the mazda3 (and my friend's civic si) clutch doesn't require as much effort to push in and i end up releasing it quicker because im used to releasing a heavier clutch.
    i find that very odd, my clutch is very light, so light in fact it took me a long while to find the friction point, and all my friends who i let drive it said the same thing, the clutch is real light, i too have driven other manual cars, and have found that most other clutches are slightly to severaly heavier than the stock 02 clutch, in fact my cousins sc'd s281 saleen has a clutch that so heavy that it hurts my knee, and i find myself wondering why my left leg is sore the next day... what yr is your wrx? stock clutch? how does every1 else stock clutch feel?
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather

I learned to drive a stick on my WRX (and my brothers before that). I didn't think i was ever going to get it, then i just bought the car and said "if i don't learn, im not driving." That worked.

as for the different clutch "weights", i think it's the different years they were made. The first manual car i drove was my brothers '02 WRX, and the main problem i had was the clutch being light. With my '05 WRX, i have no problems, and the clutch does feel 'heavier'.
    thank you/sorry to whoever i swiped the avatar from.

The clutch on my 05 GT is far stiffer than my 02 WRX... but I will also say the WRX is harder to driver right in manual trim... in the Mustang, you can be in most any gear at around 30 MPH and not blow up the car... you might be bogging down, (in 5th) or reving kinda high (in 1st) but nothing immediate will happen... so you have time to figure it out...

I had a friend drive my WRX a little over a year ago. He had been driving the same straight 6 Jeep for 8 years and he was convinced that he was driving my car correctly... I kept telling him to upshift and he was reluctant to do so... car reving at 4k and going the speed of smell... he used *sound* as his indicator... had to tell him smaller engine = higher revs = quicker shifts...

So, I think the WRX *is* harder to learn to drive a stick. Add to that how quickly you get to max RPM with the turbo and it gets harder. Still... my GT will walk away from my WRX... for now...

I learned on a honda accord. Boy was it fun.

Now the STI..... The short shifter kit makes crazy difference, but shifting is kinda "stiff" at some point. I got used to it but when I just got the car it felt like I was trying to move a rock. Also, the clutch feels ok. It could be stiffer but it wasn't as bad as an M3 I drove. It took me a while to find the friction point, but yea the car was fun never the less.

I would just look for a honda or some beater car and learn from the person that drives it (who knows what they're doing)

Good luck
    2006 STI Blue/Gold
    Mods: Bone stock :lol:
    Future: APS 3.5" tip Catless TBE, Cobb Accessport

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154596

is it normal when you're driving and about to shift around 3.5-4k and when u let go of the gas and press in the clutch that the rpms will jump a little higher? i always wondered why mine does that at higher rpms and if it's normal.

I learned on a 1984 toyota pick up It's clutch was so stiff it took me forever to get the hang of it. I have noticed that the wrx clutch is "harder" than my old integra's clutch.

As for the rpm's jumping after letting off the gas and depressing the clutch, my guess is that the air is still entering the engine because of the high pressure. And since there is no load on the engine, it can rev easier, even with only a small amount of pressurized air. That's just my guess.
    2006 SGM STi Cobb Stage II

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    i find that very odd, my clutch is very light, so light in fact it took me a long while to find the friction point, and all my friends who i let drive it said the same thing, the clutch is real light, i too have driven other manual cars, and have found that most other clutches are slightly to severaly heavier than the stock 02 clutch, in fact my cousins sc'd s281 saleen has a clutch that so heavy that it hurts my knee, and i find myself wondering why my left leg is sore the next day... what yr is your wrx? stock clutch? how does every1 else stock clutch feel?

For the 2004 model year they put in a heavier clutch and a more powerful pressure plate. This was an attempt to fix the "clutch shudder" issue in the previous models.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast