auto vs manuel help?

This is a discussion on auto vs manuel help? within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; i heard from people that i shouldn't get an auto wrx n to get a manuel n some say that ...

auto vs manuel help?

i heard from people that i shouldn't get an auto wrx n to get a manuel n some say that auto is better...which is better? can someone tell me what the different is as in 0-60 auto ? should i get an auto wrx or a manuel and is it ok to drive a auto wrx? can someone help me out here and tell me some stuff thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I love to drive, I was the lead mechanic at a prime rally school here in the US. This is my thoughts on stick vs auto.

I perfer a sick with out a doubt, when I bought my wrx I looked at many many really nice cars, but passed them up solely on the fact that they were autos.

The ammount of control over the car is far greater with a stick then an auto. You have power when you want, and can also "lug" the engine when needed. Autos seem to always up shift or down shift just at the wrong time . The horsepower is transfered to the ground solidly through gears in a stick, where as in an auto it passes through fluids in a way. Autos work via a torque converter, it works by spinning up springs and automatic transmissions fluid (atf). Atf also passes through valves in the auto trany. the valves cause the car to shift.

I dont know the numbers but manual transmission puts more horsepower to the ground then an automatic transmission does.

With some practice you can up shift and down shift with out use of the clutch, left foot breaking is not a problem either......

The list goes on and on for me any way.... I'll never own an automatic... hope this helps... and for all you automaitc lovers out there..... sorry if I made you mad

Mr. Mike

WRX
    wow, this is no easy question to answer. There have been very heated debates on this very subject before (please search for these). While I drive an auto, I like the ease of the auto and my wife likes it because she can also drive the car. However for 'performance' driving the manuAl is the better choice because you can hold it in what gear you want and what rpm you want at any given point.

From a performance standpoint, the auto is hypothetically better for drag racing because you can possibly get very consistent times. (I know I do) And the auto trans has been known to hold more power reliably than the manual trans.

It really depends on what you want to do with the car as a daily driver. If you're looking to the performance aspect, the auto will get you to 60 around 6.5 seconds or so (more in most cases) over the manuals' rated 5.4. However the auto responds very well to some basic mods, and after a few mods, the difference between the auto and manual diminishes. If you have any other questions about the auto, feel free to shoot me a pm!
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

don't buy an auto wrx. if you want an automatic i would buy a car with a V6 underhoofd atleast they'll have enough torque and no turbo lag to not totally kill your driving experience.

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX

From a performance standpoint, the auto is hypothetically better for drag racing because you can possibly get very consistent times. (I know I do) And the auto trans has been known to hold more power reliably than the manual trans.
    not to start an argument here, but ive been draging for a long time, with mustangs, and i yes autos are good if your doing time trials and such, but auto is no way good for dragging when it comes down to the car not the time. manual is more skill and 75% of the time the win comes from the experience of the driver, not the gear ratio in the tranny. i know where u are coming from and ur right. again not trying to prove u wrong, just letting jonxpak know the difference.

who's manuel and why is he fighting auto?

WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderpaint2004
    not to start an argument here, but ive been draging for a long time, with mustangs, and i yes autos are good if your doing time trials and such, but auto is no way good for dragging when it comes down to the car not the time. manual is more skill and 75% of the time the win comes from the experience of the driver, not the gear ratio in the tranny. i know where u are coming from and ur right. again not trying to prove u wrong, just letting jonxpak know the difference.
    I understand your point and that's why I said it's hypothetically better.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

most automatic dragsters will use a ratchet shifter with a 2 or 3 speed tranny. of course these cars are not seen on the street much, track only.

if u own an automatic WRX, u just kill the whole fun in owning a rally car. im sure there are reasons for people to buy an automatic but if u are into performance and fun, the stick shift is the way to go. when i was a teen, my friend told me that once u learn to drive a stick, u will never want to go back. i didnt believe him nor did i care at the time but i learned quick with my first stick shift car. i moved on in life and i was forced to get an automatic RX8 which i hated for months and months (thanks to my wife). the car was no fun at all! now that she is deployed, i dumped her car (my car according to the title) and got a 5spd WRX. she was all for it before we left but we shall see what happens when she gets home. lol if she divorces me over a car, then the WRX is coming with me!

It really depends on you and your needs. I have the auto and enjoy it.

I would agree that it is stonger and slower than the 5spd.

I didnt buy a WRX to have a rally experience or to become a rally racer, so i guess im not ruined. In all honesty a stock WRX is far from anything having to do with rally.

move to a different forum
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy00
    who's manuel and why is he fighting auto?
    hahahahahahahaahah

ok i used to have an auto wrx a stage 4 even, now i have an 05 sti 6spd so i would say that my sti is as fast as my stage 4 wrx with only my exhaust and tune.

these peopel talk about dragging, bagging ,wacking......... whatever

do not get an auto if you live in the open, even in traffic, i just hated my auto cause nothing ever worked out with me there to many bugs with modding them........... i say get the wrx 5 spd or the sti 6 spd, you will love yourself for it.
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.