Penalties for misbehavior

This is a discussion on Penalties for misbehavior within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; With the events that have transpired in here lately, maybe a small revision in punishment could make a positive difference. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Penalties for misbehavior

With the events that have transpired in here lately, maybe a small revision in punishment could make a positive difference. What if suspensions were handed out to senior members for misbehavior instead of an all out ban. For instance, if someone has shown to be a prominant member of our community, and an incident insues, maybe a two week, or a month suspension would quiet the situation without half the board getting angry. Just a thought.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    With the events that have transpired in here lately, maybe a small revision in punishment could make a positive difference. What if suspensions were handed out to senior members for misbehavior instead of an all out ban. For instance, if someone has shown to be a prominant member of our community, and an incident insues, maybe a two week, or a month suspension would quiet the situation without half the board getting angry. Just a thought.
    Great idea. I came to this board because it was "different". Though, I might not even agree to a suspension.

If a prominent member is to be banned, maybe it should be after a review by a number of moderators. One person with their panties in a twist should maybe ask for some external validation.

Heck, how about this. If a moderator is involved in a confrontation with another member, said mod should have no rights to ban until the situation is confirmed reviewed by another mod. Such mod might find it hard to have a clear view of the situation if clouded by emotion.

This is my happy place, lets keep it that way.

-Eric-

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    The standard procedure has been that people are issued a series of warnings first before a ban has taken place. However, multiple violations in a small timeframe can curb the need for warning after warning. Case in point, spammers...when someone spams multiple forums, that's an insta-ban...it'd be ridiculous for me to send warnings for each post. Moreover, certain things such as spamming and attempting to come back after being banned warrant warning-less bans anyway. That's how things have worked here since even before I was here.

It's also good to keep in mind that warnings go on your permanent record. If you have a history of misbehaving in the past, even say 2 years ago...the more you should know what behavior is acceptable and what isn't. Thus, if you've been warned way back then and then violate a rule now...you'll be more scrutinized than giving leniancy. That's just how logically it's supposed to work.

It really isn't hard to NOT follow the rules here. It's basically...don't post up something that would piss anyone off. And, if there's an issue with a moderator violating that...then you can always contact Tim about it...it's just important to keep it off the forums so that they don't ignite any more flames.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    I see your point...and I agree.

I'm sure you all (MOD) get to look at the whole issue...before waving your ban sticks.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW
    I see your point...and I agree.

I'm sure you all (MOD) get to look at the whole issue...before waving your ban sticks.
    I'm not saying the current methodology doesn't work (in a general reply here), I'm saying that the recent events point towards a deficiency in policy, though not a crippling deficiency.

More of a fun thought, not a cry for change, nor an attempt to stir up bad blood and nasty thoughts. Yes, I'll bring up Zem in this case. I'm not going to bring up who said what, who was right blah blah blah. I can say I've spent time with the guy in the real world, and have found that he's a dern nice guy (most of you will have to take my word for it).

From what I understand there is a finite limit on the number of warnings a person might receive, be it a punk kid (a) who likes to stir trouble or a more valued poster that has nothing better to do all day but post musings and tech support (b).

Person (a) might exist for a 100 posts or so, then (bam!), he's gone and the people rejoice. This person had to work to get kicked out. Maybe 5 warnings out of a 100 posts, 5% warn to post ratio.

Person (b) has been around a long time, posted thousands of times and helped hundreds. This person maxed out at 5 warnings also over a lengthy period and say 2000 posts. Thats a .25% warn to post ratio (not taking into account length of existence on the board, which is substantially longer than person (a)).

In the Zem case, I (like many here) see him as a type (b) person. He rarely leaves the computer and posts all the time benefiting many other people. He also has his quirks, but against the shear value he's added to clubwrx, his quirks are microscopic.

So as far as policy is concerned, tons of people were ticked off at the removal of a type (b) person.

This is not good. I find clubwrx to be less valuable. Many people that post here and keep clubwrx alive were ticked off. Ticked off masses aren't a good thing.

How about this.

When the existence of a type (b) person is at stake (on the forum), why not make it more reality TV-ish. Vote him off the island by popular vote. Set up a poll, let the people that make up these forums decide. I won't get into details on ensuring 1 vote per registered user, but this ain't Florida people.

Thoughts?

-Eric-

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I can't say I agree with your philosophy. I've been a moderator of ClubWRX for a number of years now, and a moderator of various other forums for years before that. Having a public vote for all of the forum to vote who gets banned is not going to work. It's been tried in the past and all it turns into is one big flamefest and a popularity contest. Moreover, votes can be skewed by both potentially dirty moderators and by forum users who just register new accounts left and right to skew the vote in one way or another. This idea in and of itself is a moderation nightmare. The system we have in place works and works well. Other than this incident, there hasn't a single incident where such uproar has taken place due to someone's banning.

Also, the fact that a valued member of the community still violates ClubWRX rules that they, out of anyone else, should be more aware of, in my eyes makes me less lenient toward them. If you have thousands of posts and helped hundreds of others, that's supposed to give you the right to be more of a **** to people? I certainly think not. With someone being around that long, the MORE they should know the rules, the MORE they should know how the community works, and the MORE they should be accustomed to following the rules that they have been posting under for a long time.

I also don't like the idea of having a double standard for long-time posters. Everyone, including moderators, are subject to the rules of ClubWRX. How long they've been here has no bearing. If say...Josh/Trailboss started spamming the forum with his new business. Do you think we'd let it fly just because he's been here forever and he's a moderator? Of course not.

While we welcome your thoughts here, it is my honest opinion that it'll cause more problems than good.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    Everyone, including moderators, are subject to the rules of ClubWRX.
    that's true, i've been thru it. For all who think that a mod would never get banned or demodded think again. It's happened before.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    I can't say I agree with your philosophy. I've been a moderator of ClubWRX for a number of years now, and a moderator of various other forums for years before that. Having a public vote for all of the forum to vote who gets banned is not going to work. It's been tried in the past and all it turns into is one big flamefest and a popularity contest. Moreover, votes can be skewed by both potentially dirty moderators and by forum users who just register new accounts left and right to skew the vote in one way or another. This idea in and of itself is a moderation nightmare. The system we have in place works and works well. Other than this incident, there hasn't a single incident where such uproar has taken place due to someone's banning.

Also, the fact that a valued member of the community still violates ClubWRX rules that they, out of anyone else, should be more aware of, in my eyes makes me less lenient toward them. If you have thousands of posts and helped hundreds of others, that's supposed to give you the right to be more of a **** to people? I certainly think not. With someone being around that long, the MORE they should know the rules, the MORE they should know how the community works, and the MORE they should be accustomed to following the rules that they have been posting under for a long time.

I also don't like the idea of having a double standard for long-time posters. Everyone, including moderators, are subject to the rules of ClubWRX. How long they've been here has no bearing. If say...Josh/Trailboss started spamming the forum with his new business. Do you think we'd let it fly just because he's been here forever and he's a moderator? Of course not.

While we welcome your thoughts here, it is my honest opinion that it'll cause more problems than good.
    I appreciate your response. It was just a thought I had today, and I thought I would bounce it off you guys

ive gotten a warning from the mods once, do you guys like have that on record or something? i did apologize for my name calling. if i ever got banned, my god, i dont know what i would do...i just couldnt start posting on...on....
    wrxf

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    ive gotten a warning from the mods once, do you guys like have that on record or something? i did apologize for my name calling. if i ever got banned, my god, i dont know what i would do...i just couldnt start posting on...on....
    wrxf

yes we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ebr0t
    yes we do.
    ***secretly plots mission to steal crucial Trainrex warning documents from mods file cabinet***

Anybody seen my skimask?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.