Origin of used parts for sale

This is a discussion on Origin of used parts for sale within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; I watch the classifieds in here on a regular basis for good deals. When there are large lists of WRX ...

I Support ClubWRX

Origin of used parts for sale

I watch the classifieds in here on a regular basis for good deals. When there are large lists of WRX or STI used parts for sale I get suspicious of there origin, especially when they are in the tri-state area where most are stolen from. Being in the salvage business, I know when used parts look suspicious, and I have to be able to provide a parts origin at all times. Is there any way we can make it a requirement to provide a VIN# with the used OEM parts for sale in our classifieds?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I watch the classifieds in here on a regular basis for good deals. When there are large lists of WRX or STI used parts for sale I get suspicious of there origin, especially when they are in the tri-state area where most are stolen from. Being in the salvage business, I know when used parts look suspicious, and I have to be able to provide a parts origin at all times. Is there any way we can make it a requirement to provide a VIN# with the used OEM parts for sale in our classifieds?

not a completely bad idea. What about those of us that like to import stuff from other countries and dont know the VINs from the cars that the parts came from?
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

Quote Originally Posted by pityr
    not a completely bad idea. What about those of us that like to import stuff from other countries and dont know the VINs from the cars that the parts came from?
    Become a vendor.

+1 for Andrew's idea.

-1 for Andrew's idea.

Posting a VIN number on the internet will open cars up to more theft then it will prevent. It isn't all that difficult to walk into a dealership with a VIN, tell them you lost your key, and walk out with a brand new, cut-to-fit key for that car.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4
    -1 for Andrew's idea.

Posting a VIN number on the internet will open cars up to more theft then it will prevent. It isn't all that difficult to walk into a dealership with a VIN, tell them you lost your key, and walk out with a brand new, cut-to-fit key for that car.
    When I get keys from dealerships, I have to provide I.D. and car ownership information. Dealers don't want the liability of giving a key to a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by djrez4
    -1 for Andrew's idea.

wrong. To get a new key made for my BMW, I had to provide a Title and license to prove it was my car.

I rather see a forum when you can post about members and the interactions of your sales with them. Give people "feedback" (not like stars that ebay does) but just a thread on a member.

$0.02
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    I rather see a forum when you can post about members and the interactions of your sales with them. Give people "feedback" (not like stars that ebay does) but just a thread on a member.

$0.02
    +1 to this idea!! -1 to the other one
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

some sort of proof of legit ownership isnt a bad idea.

lately ive also been watching per train sparking my curiosity and theres been quite a few "noobs" with a laundry list of parts.

VIN i think is excessive due to privacy but some other form of ownership/id/etc would be a great thing to have. something simple though to avaoid shunning people away from it.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gusto
    some sort of proof of legit ownership isnt a bad idea.

lately ive also been watching per train sparking my curiosity and theres been quite a few "noobs" with a laundry list of parts.

VIN i think is excessive due to privacy but some other form of ownership/id/etc would be a great thing to have. something simple though to avaoid shunning people away from it.
    I've always been curious of the laundry lists. I started this thread shortly after I asked for proof of origin of parts in a thread posted in our classifieds, and was flat out denied the information. When I pushed the subject, the author deleted the thread. I'm not talking about someone who wants to sell a set of wheels, or even going back to stock parts. It's also doubtful that the well known and respected members would dabble in such an offense. I'm talking about (for instance)someone posting 4 seats, door panels, body parts, drivetrain parts, brakes, and struts, etc...etc..etc.. off a brand new STI that is "going back to stock". I feel these members should be obligated to show proof of origin if asked. I sell used parts all day long. It's my business. I have to be able to prove the origin of every part I sell. I think it also puts the club in a bad legal position if it supports the sale of stolen parts without trying to filter them.

case in point.

from NJ

lots of random parts...

6 posts.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89689
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

A lot of people register on here when they sell stuff, and have been on Nasioc forever, which I could understand just to give their sale more exposure, but I'm always very weary of them.

I'll see what I can do about the "Personal Seller Review/Feedback" forum
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

parts

when I finally get around to doing my laundry list after the swap, i'll just post a link to my swap thread, with pics of whats left of the car the parts came off (assuming there is anything left when I am done).
    " Moorepower Motorsports - Subaru Maintenance and Mods "

Subaru UN-authorized repair center

"Warrantees voided while you wait"

Project 1: the beginning

Project 1: SOLD

PROJECT 2: Fun begins again

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1
    when I finally get around to doing my laundry list after the swap, i'll just post a link to my swap thread, with pics of whats left of the car the parts came off (assuming there is anything left when I am done).
    We all know who you are

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.