Do a search really necessary?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Do a search really necessary? within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; I view many topics and its almost 99% of the time that i find these replies posted at least once, ...

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar

Question Do a search really necessary?

I view many topics and its almost 99% of the time that i find these replies posted at least once, "do a search," or something around those lines.

My question is why is this so rampant? If everyone did searches then you wouldn't get all that many topics and really nothing to talk about. The whole point of a forum is to be able to obtain information from users and discuss things. If you want to know about things through a search just hit up a search engine not a forum. I have found many automotive related forums to be very unfriendly but this one seems to have a lot of good friendly users but one thing that I don't like is this. When a new user comes in asking something and all he gets is people screaming to do a search and flaming them it doesn't make them want to stick around.

Now there are exceptions but most the time people shouldn't just reply with "do a search." I hope that this issue can be addressed because I believe its a problem on this site and nobody likes getting no information or getting flamed when they post on a new site.

Thanks for listening

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This has been covered before do a search.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

+1
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

no we dont need to do a search, we can have 400 threads a year about which BOV is best and which CAI is best.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Banned
    A search is requested because it cuts down on the clutter of the site. If you want to B.S., go into one of the forums where we B.S. (OT, Everyday Impreza, etc). For example, if you want to know why your AP version1 reads Stage 1 when you just flashed the stage 2 realtime map, do a search, its been covered a million times and doesn't need to be covered again. If you want to profess your love for WRXWagone, then go to OT. It may have been covered, but we appreciate reposts regarding members' attraction to the autoXing dough boy.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    If you want to profess your love for WRXWagone, then go to OT. It may have been covered, but we appreciate reposts regarding members' attraction to the autoXing dough boy.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I say its good to tell the new ones to search. Searching does cover nearly everything. I was able to make the jump to stage 2, get tint that doesn't mess my radio, decide on future suspension upgrades.. all without posting a question in a new thread. (i think.. hmmm... but you get the idea heheh ).

However, we all know how many dead threads there are that only say "use the search". Over time, it can make searching useless. Maybe it should be a combination of both... tell them to search, but also give a general short answer if you know it ... and maybe add a few helpful terms that they could search for. That way, all threads end up useful, and they get the idea to search.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 03-06-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

I do the " do a search" when the BOV's and CAI's come up, but I also try to help them as well.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I say its good to tell the new ones to search. Searching does cover nearly everything. I was able to make the jump to stage 2, get tint that doesn't mess my radio, decide on future suspension upgrades.. all without posting a question (i think... maybe a few? .. but you get the idea heheh ).

However, we all know how many dead threads there are that only say "use the search". Over time, it can make searching useless. Maybe it should be a combination of both... tell them to search, but also give a general short answer if you know it ... and maybe add a few helpful terms that they could search for. That way, all threads end up useful, and they get the idea to search.
    +1
    I only recently started posting here, but i've been searching and learning what I need to know for a long time. At the same time, though, it sucks to search for something and find half of the results saying "do a search"

+ 1
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    no we dont need to do a search, we can have 400 threads a year about which BOV is best and which CAI is best.
    + 1
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

hahahahha

welcome to the world of online tech forums.... remember to search first

FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

^I don't remember that part in Pulp Fiction.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

I Support ClubWRX
    I sometimes provide keywords for the search. It's always aggravating to see someone post "I searched but didn't come up with anything" when my own casual search for their problem finds their answer. Frequently if the question is one of the usual (BOV, CAI, boost, etc.) I'll add the user to my ignore list just in case they stick around. Many users post something once then don't post again, and that cuts down on noise. Others come back with another easily searched question, followed by another, and so on, so that's when I use the ignore list feature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast