Do a search really necessary? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Do a search really necessary? within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; I'll say this sometimes the search function within the board (not just this one) is very limited. I'd suggest using ...

Hmmmm....

I'll say this sometimes the search function within the board (not just this one) is very limited. I'd suggest using a wider Google type search. I found my answer regarding boost gauge readings and blah blah blah...

Some folks just want a quick easy answer....

But if you don't research your answer how much weight do you put behind it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Here are some links I suggest you check out!
    Everything you could want to know about Subarus and ClubWRX
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Vez
    I just had this conversation last night with my roommate. He was browsing a different forum (a Dune forum) and asked me why people get so nasty about doing searches. I said it's more representative of the forum you're on at the time. I used this (of course) as an example of a friendly one. My comment was this:

Even though I haven't been on long, I've already seen multiple posts covering things that have been discussed in detail. People have a question and want answers to read. Fortunately, most answers have already been posted in numerous locations and are already in place for them to look at. For people that frequent the boards, I'm sure it gets annoying to hear the same questions repeated. I know I didn't know proper "forum etiquette" prior to this one and I'm guessing this holds true for most first time posters. There should be a function (I don't know the feesability of this) where you are directed to a Beginner's Thread prior to posting for the first time (like how you need to activate your account). I know there's a sticky about this in the New Member's Hangout (User Rules and Guidelines), but I'm sure most people don't bother reading it because they just want a simple, quick answer. Alternatively, there could be one BIG mesasge you see prior to your first post, "Before you ask a question, do a search."

I'd say about 90% of my questions have already been answered...I just had to look a little bit. A friendly "do a search" is justifiable IMO since they would have known this had they read the sticky...and maybe, they just didn't know enough to read the sticky. I think a few key words would be helpful to accompany the DAS message. I know I STILL have some trouble finding some things and after about 30 minutes of searching, it gets tiresome. After that, my thoughts are, "If I'm having this much trouble finding it, even if it's already posted, maybe another more explanatory thread is justified."

That's my $.03. (The extra penny is added for my long-windedness)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    I said there were exceptions but when u can find someone post at least once "do a search" in every topic and not in a friendly manner it doesn't reflect upon the site well.

Its one thing when someone says to do a search nicely and then when someone is an ass about it.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by project_skyline View Post
    I said there were exceptions but when u can find someone post at least once "do a search" in every topic and not in a friendly manner it doesn't reflect upon the site well.

Its one thing when someone says to do a search nicely and then when someone is an ass about it.
    I shall now forward all BOV and CAI threads to your PM inbox.

Vez

I agree.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I shall now forward all BOV and CAI threads to your PM inbox.
    owned.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

I Support ClubWRX
    I view many topics and its almost 99% of the time that i find these replies posted at least once, "do a search," or something around those lines.
    My question is why is this so rampant?
    ...Thanks for listening
    One great example of why some of us throw out the "search" comments is THIS THREAD. Here the original poster asked some questions and I took a significant amount of time to answer them. I even provided links and notes etc., etc. That all sounds fine until you realize that the original poster not only never replied to my post (which is fine) in two months... but he has never even return to this site to even read the answers to his questions. It really makes wish I had just typed "Do a Search N00B". It would have yielded the same results but with less time spent on my part.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Sweet J

I just read the linked thread and now I know how to read my boost gauge as to how mush PSI I'm making

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I say its good to tell the new ones to search. Searching does cover nearly everything. I was able to make the jump to stage 2, get tint that doesn't mess my radio, decide on future suspension upgrades.. all without posting a question in a new thread. (i think.. hmmm... but you get the idea heheh ).

However, we all know how many dead threads there are that only say "use the search". Over time, it can make searching useless. Maybe it should be a combination of both... tell them to search, but also give a general short answer if you know it ... and maybe add a few helpful terms that they could search for. That way, all threads end up useful, and they get the idea to search.

This is the best idea. As a fairly new user to this forum I have tried to avoid the wrath of the search nazis. But sometimes searching leads to a bunch of BS crap and arguments where you get poor and contradicting information. Take my nitrous information hunt (total waste of time) i haven't found one single great post by searching. As a long time user and believer in nitrous with proper tuning, i searched this forum and found pretty much no useful information. But I was hesitant to post a new questions asking advice. I dont want to be the stupid noob who pisses off the typical search nazi! So have some slack on some questions but crack down on others. If new users ask about CAI's and BOV's then by all means its laziness, but when they ask questions that ARE NOT covered well Help them (and me) out.
    2006 Aspen White WRX tr

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCS2 View Post
    I just read the linked thread and now I know how to read my boost gauge as to how mush PSI I'm making

Thanks
    I feel better now that at least I was able to help some one.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by My06WRX View Post
    This is the best idea. As a fairly new user to this forum I have tried to avoid the wrath of the search nazis. But sometimes searching leads to a bunch of BS crap and arguments where you get poor and contradicting information. Take my nitrous information hunt (total waste of time) i haven't found one single great post by searching. As a long time user and believer in nitrous with proper tuning, i searched this forum and found pretty much no useful information. But I was hesitant to post a new questions asking advice. I dont want to be the stupid noob who pisses off the typical search nazi! So have some slack on some questions but crack down on others. If new users ask about CAI's and BOV's then by all means its laziness, but when they ask questions that ARE NOT covered well Help them (and me) out.
    Nitrous isn't a very popular mod for our cars. That's why you didn't find much info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Nitrous isn't a very popular mod for our cars. That's why you didn't find much info on it.
    I figured that out the hard way... lol I searched every forum I could find and not much information was found. But i was just using that from a personal experience I had and referencing that new users should search, but when they do ask a question and there is little or bad/contradicting information on here, we should pitch in as much as we can. There are pound for pound more helpful users on here than any other forum but there are a few post *****s I see making stupid replies to alot of different post. You know who you are... And to trainrex thanks for the nitrous tip, that was believe it or not the best reply to any post I made about the subject. And I guess the WRX just hates the juice, but then again so do most cars until they are properly tuned
    2006 Aspen White WRX tr

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by My06WRX View Post
    I figured that out the hard way... lol I searched every forum I could find and not much information was found. But i was just using that from a personal experience I had and referencing that new users should search, but when they do ask a question and there is little or bad/contradicting information on here, we should pitch in as much as we can. There are pound for pound more helpful users on here than any other forum but there are a few post *****s I see making stupid replies to alot of different post. You know who you are... And to trainrex thanks for the nitrous tip, that was believe it or not the best reply to any post I made about the subject. And I guess the WRX just hates the juice, but then again so do most cars until they are properly tuned
    What's funny is that our cars love the juice, but are sensitive to it. Most people just choose not to go that route because it's easy to double the stock hp with bolt ons, and less dangerous. I've always reserved nitrous for an engine that is just about at it's peak without either 20k in engine work, or a power adder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12