What is this add crap? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on What is this add crap? within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; Originally Posted by Yossarian What browser? IE and Firefox...

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    What browser?
    IE and Firefox
    Herman
    -----------
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinWRX View Post
    I've made the ads a little smaller, so this solves most of our problem. The whole point of having ads on the site is just like reading a magazine, someone's gotta pay the bills. Advertisers do not want to annoy people with ads and we don't either, but we have to put them in places that can be seen so it works out for everyone.

Google does content match so it tries its best to display ads that are relevent to the contnet of the site, and we're going to have in-house ads running somewhere on the pages too where they're most likely going to be parts vendors. Trust me, I will do everything to ignore the "smack me and win an ipod" ads with rainbow colors flashing in the background.

There are a lot of advertising opportunities that can generate revenues for the site and intellitxt is one of them.

As far as the page load it's not going to really cause any slowdowns, especially for the frequent visitors since the files will probably be cached on your computer, and I'm going to upgrade the server soon so the site will run better for everyone.

Again, a reasonable "member status upgrade" will be implemented for certain supporting members that just absolutely cannot stand the site, or just want to offer to help out the site financially.
    The smaller ads are much better. Something with the other fonts made it hard on my eyes. Plus people at work won't notice as much when I'm screwing around (already have avatars and pics turned off)

While still annoying, I think I can get used to them if it will keep the site free. Ask again in a month.

ok, this is bullsh*t...

im outta here...this used to be a good site. Its being ruined.

Like putting these rediculous ads on the very bottom of the site is too much to ask for? Has to be the most annoying thing ever. Im sure everyone is going to rush to sign up for exclusive offers and request Mazda CX-9 info...or maybe find out how much i can save on Geico insurance in FL...even though i live in New Jersey.

goodbye everyone. Its been fun.
    Last edited by Redline927; 12-15-2006 at 07:55 PM.

I don't get what the big deal is.

I understand how the big text could be an issue at work, but other than that it really isn't that bad.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    ok, this is bullsh*t...

im outta here...this used to be a good site. Its being ruined.

Like putting these rediculous ads on the very bottom of the site is too much to ask for? Has to be the most annoying thing ever. Im sure everyone is going to rush to sign up for exclusive offers and request Mazda CX-9 info...or maybe find out how much i can save on Geico insurance in FL...even though i live in New Jersey.

goodbye everyone. Its been fun.
    Off to Nastysock with Uncle Lewie? You will be missed Tyler. You were the author for the Detailing Forum and have a sticky there: -The Official Detailing Supplies Thread-
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 12-15-2006 at 08:45 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    nice if you install linky in mozilla and block googlesyndication you will still have the box but you wont have any of the text inside of it.
    +1

It's a lot more livable now that I installed AdBlocker in Firefox.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Off to Nastysock with Uncle Lewie? You will be missed Tyler. You were the author for the Detailing Forum and have a sticky there: -The Official Detailing Supplies Thread-
    i dont know...i guess ill just have to limit my browsing to the detailing forum and deal with the annoyance.

this is
    Last edited by Redline927; 12-15-2006 at 09:19 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    nice if you install linky in mozilla and block googlesyndication you will still have the box but you wont have any of the text inside of it.
    Cool, Thanks, Brian! Just went out and found AdBlocker + for Firefox, and it works great. I didn't like that the ads all have bold text, so they look like an unread post. Plus they look like ads on all the free web hosting sites, and really make clubWRX look a lot less professional than it used to. Kind of a catch 22, I guess. If I were a vendor, would I pay to advertise on a site that has a bunch of ads already scattered on it?

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

I Support ClubWRX
    WTF...there is a Chia ad on my screen.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

WTF...there is a Chia ad on my screen.
    lol, this just sums up the rediculousness of it.

Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Cool, Thanks, Brian! Just went out and found AdBlocker + for Firefox, and it works great. I didn't like that the ads all have bold text, so they look like an unread post. Plus they look like ads on all the free web hosting sites, and really make clubWRX look a lot less professional than it used to. Kind of a catch 22, I guess. If I were a vendor, would I pay to advertise on a site that has a bunch of ads already scattered on it?
    You'll learn to love adblock. Every time you get an image that isn't wanted just right click and adblock

At least its not intellitext.
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    At least its not intellitext.
    I, and most here, WISH it was intellitxt

ill take some underlined words over huge annoying random ads in the middle of threads.

<both suck tho>

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    I, and most here, WISH it was intellitxt
    O Rly? I hated intellitext.

I have a hard time reading text on a computer screen (maybe bad vision) and the only way I can read it without getting a head ache is to highlight it. With intellitex I was constantly inadvertantly clicking on ads .
    FORZA FERRARI

Im on a mac, and cant see the ad text. Same for the other guy that posted the screenshot. Great being on a mac
    It still looks like empty posts though, which is misleading.
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.