Need some feedback on Ads on the site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need some feedback on Ads on the site within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; As we're devoting more and more resources to the forum to make various updates, improvements, and just day to day ...

I Support ClubWRX

Need some feedback on Ads on the site

As we're devoting more and more resources to the forum to make various updates, improvements, and just day to day tasks, I need to put ads on various places on the site. We have some sponsors paying for ad spaces and we want to make sure that they're getting their money's worth, so basically we'll have to place ads in places that are 1. Noticeable and 2. Not disturbing. And most importantly, I would like to place them in places where people would see the message and actaully click on some of them.

Most of the sites on the web has ads integrated around their contents to maximize the exposure. I know that a lot of you are going to get turned off by this but hey, someone's gotta pay the bills right? The ads that we will have on our site will be value added ads, which means I will do my best to keep the contents of the ads relevant to our users so it will provide some sort of information that will be valuable to our users and things that are relevant to our site contents.

Anyhow, there are a lot of spaces on ClubWRX.net that would fit different advertisements. As far as banner and text ads (such as Google ads) goes, what are some places where you would like to see them and not totally ignore them?

Help me out guys. ClubWRX.net has forgone a lot of advertising opportunities such as the intellitext to improve the experience of our users. Nearly all of the websites on the internet rely on banner ad revenues which keeps them going.

Lastly, would you guys pay a premium for a banner-free version of the site? If so, how much are you willing to pay on a monthly basis for this option?
    Tim
    Admin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As long as the ads don't force side scrolling like the new google one, I don't foresee them causing a backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    As long as the ads don't force side scrolling like the new google one, I don't foresee them causing a backlash.
    +1

That Google needs its own "row" rather than "column" btw...
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

+2

I'd also recommend integrating paypal donation buttons into a few places on the site. I have yet to see one and know of a few other forums where it helped produce a decent amount of revenue.

take this for example
    http://www.clubcivic.com/support
    the link for that page is in the top corner of every page of the site

I Support ClubWRX
    If you ask me as (which I guess you kind of did) I'd say keep it extreamly simple. I do not mind surfing here or Nasioc because they are 2 very simple sites. I went to IWSTI and every post has an ad under it. I can not stand that format. I am not one of those person to click on any link advertising at all. I just look at it as a distraction, and when I actually go to a site like Tirerack it never dawns on me to us a link, I just type in the URL.

Keep it simple with banner ads and ad's under the page I've viewing. Even toss in SOME inteltext ad's like nasioc has. I can live with that because it's only catch's on some words and I just scroll past them.

Please do NOT turn this into a billboard.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Peachypumpkincheeks

+100

On our site, the 728x90 leaderboard (top of the page) and the 160x600 vertical banner (right hand side of the page) get the most clickthrus. But usually, the higher clickthrus are moreso dependant on ad content over placement. I recommend you come check out USAToday.com because we strive to create ad placements that generate interest and clickthrus, but try not to be too instrusive to keep the reader experience a positive one. Much like clubwrx, the whole bain of our existance is our loyal readers.

What advertising capabilities do you have? Do you have the ability to create interstitial or push-down placements?

I sure hope you would charge advertisers per impression rather than clickthru because normal IAB ratios are about 100imps:1click.

Also, I wouldn't pay a premium for an ad-free site. None of our users would either, and the amount of users paying for an ad-free site will barely total 1% of the revenue you recieve from advertisers.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks guys! I guess it would make a lot more sense to have the new bar on the right versus the left. The purpose of the google search on the left is suppose to be used for searching our site's conetent with a menu that'll improve user friendliness, but I suppose I can put the menu on the top of the page.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I'll make sure that I don't turn the site into a billboard.
    Tim
    Admin

i would do the premium thing where i would pay to not have ads that sounds liek a cool idea i dig that one a lot
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Newks View Post
    i would do the premium thing where i would pay to not have ads that sounds liek a cool idea i dig that one a lot
    + 1
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by $lick Rick View Post
    +2

I'd also recommend integrating paypal donation buttons into a few places on the site. I have yet to see one and know of a few other forums where it helped produce a decent amount of revenue.

take this for example
    http://www.clubcivic.com/support
    the link for that page is in the top corner of every page of the site
    I have donated at such sites before and would do the same here if it turns in to a good source of information for my needs.Im new around here but so far i have read a lot of great information.
    Herman
    -----------

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's my feedback from the other thread:

I don't like that the ads all have bold text, so they look like an unread post. Plus they look like ads on all the free web hosting sites, and really make clubWRX look cluttered and a lot less professional than it used to. Kind of a catch 22, I guess. If I were a vendor, would I pay to advertise on a site that has a bunch of ads already scattered on it?

Plus the occasional add requires side scrolling, and if the thread is a long one, you have to sidescroll back and forth through the entire page. I have a 24" screen, so If *I'm* side-scrolling, I imagine most everyone is.

I put in adblocker, so I don't see them any more. Of course now I don't see the ads from your paying vendors, either.

I don't dislike them. They just made using clubWRX more cumbersome than it was it was two days ago.

BTW, out of dozens of forums I participate on, including cars, bikes, photography, tools, etc, clubWRX is the only one that uses inline ads.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

I'll be upfront and honest here, I wouldn't pay for a premium version of the site. While there is a good deal of technical info here, there's a lot more just plain chatter. Now don't get me wrong, I like to PW as much as anyone else, and this is one of the really fun sites on the Web. But, it is not what I would consider a premium website. At this point I can't think of a site where I would pay to visit. I will probably donate to ClubWRX if it doesn't short my family, though.

As far as the ads go, please, please, please stay away from those heavily animated ads. I, and I suppose many like me, surf on older computers and those type of ads just clog things up and make them run slow.

The ads that are in place now don't bother me much. I usually scroll past them. I'm more likely to click on a banner ad like Tire Rack or something else when I'm in the shopping mode. I try to click through this site, too.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey guys,

I updated the other post. Basically I decided to put an end to the integrated ads for the time being.
    Tim
    Admin

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinWRX View Post
    Hey guys,

I updated the other post. Basically I decided to put an end to the integrated ads for the time being.
    I approve Thank you very much, Tim You know, for a dictator, you're pretty nice
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast