Google searchbar column
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Google searchbar column within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; It just popped up, and its compressing the useful portions of the forum. This will make me crazy when I'm ...

I Support ClubWRX

Google searchbar column

It just popped up, and its compressing the useful portions of the forum. This will make me crazy when I'm home on my puny 17" monitor.

Is there a way to choose to hide it, or am I just gonna have to learn to live w/ it?
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    It just popped up, and its compressing the useful portions of the forum. This will make me crazy when I'm home on my puny 17" monitor.

Is there a way to choose to hide it, or am I just gonna have to learn to live w/ it?
    i think it should be right on the right side of the google adds.
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I Support ClubWRX
    I thought it was just me. A big

Even at 1280 x 1024 on a 19" LCD it eats up way too much space.
    Forget about displaying 1024 wide images.

Please tell us it is a temporary test. Please?

site menu coming soon~ (no need to panic!)

OK.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-20-2006 at 03:19 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i dont like it......
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Site menu? Isn't there already one at the top of the page? Seems like it will be just as user unfriendly with a site menu added as it is now with just the google ad.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey guys,

If you guys check out www.scubaboard.com you'll see that its' not so bad. I think it'll take some time to get used to but you'll be amazed at how many people are having trouble using the site. Some of us have been on the forum for 5+ years and will find the new menu not very attractive, but it'll be very informative for most of us once the new menu has been added. I decided to add the Google search feature there because it'll allow all the new members to easily find information on our site in a interface that they're familiar with. The top menu is okay for a lot of members who have been on the site before, but we still have A TON of really useful links that are not currently on there. I've toyed with the idea of adding a new row of menus on there but the fact that it's a horizontal menu makes it difficult to get information in there in a clean way. If we do that you will just end up seeing a cluster of links, which isn't very helpful in any way. Please refer to this post for the time being:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...31#post1739731

I would like to hear some constructive criticisms on how this left menu would help you guys versus all of your reasons on why you don't like it. I have a 15" LCD monitor next to my 19" desktop monitor and I'll make sure that the site remains usable for people who are using smaller monitors.
    Tim
    Admin

^^^
    Yeah, that makes sense.

Although it still makes the forums look cramped.

Sweet user pic BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinWRX View Post
    Hey guys,

I would like to hear some constructive criticisms on how this left menu would help you guys versus all of your reasons on why you don't like it. I have a 15" LCD monitor next to my 19" desktop monitor and I'll make sure that the site remains usable for people who are using smaller monitors.
    It will let us look at paid advertising by google - yay!

Why not make it an option which can be set in user preferences? Why was this added?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Yeah, I am not really feeling it.

Takes up space and makes the forum look cramped. Why not just have a large open box on the top bar that says search for quick and easy to see search functions. This would allows newbs to use the site easier and find more information without cramping up the forum look.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post

Takes up space and makes the forum look cramped. Why not just have a large open box on the top bar that says search for quick and easy to see search functions. This would allows newbs to use the site easier and find more information without cramping up the forum look.
    +1

Were there really complaints about the site being hard to use?

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it'll take some time to get used to but you'll be amazed at how many people are having trouble using the site.
    If this issue has come up, I understand the reasoning behind it.

I always thought this site was among the easiest forums to use. Conversely, trying to use Nasioc is like doing a rubix cube...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    +1
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know we have little say in it because at the end of the day it's Tim's site, but I'm not feeling the bar either. It takes up way to much space and is making it cramped. It would be nice to either have it uptop where the other options are like "User CP FAQ MEMBERS LIST" etc... or just give me an option to turn the whole thing off.

And if someone cant figure out how to use this site, then I dont know what to tell them. I find it extreamly easy as it has been from day one. Oh we'll hoepfully it'll work out Tim.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Hey guys,

If you guys check out www.scubaboard.com you'll see that its' not so bad. I think it'll take some time to get used to but you'll be amazed at how many people are having trouble using the site. Some of us have been on the forum for 5+ years and will find the new menu not very attractive, but it'll be very informative for most of us once the new menu has been added. I decided to add the Google search feature there because it'll allow all the new members to easily find information on our site in a interface that they're familiar with. The top menu is okay for a lot of members who have been on the site before, but we still have A TON of really useful links that are not currently on there. I've toyed with the idea of adding a new row of menus on there but the fact that it's a horizontal menu makes it difficult to get information in there in a clean way. If we do that you will just end up seeing a cluster of links, which isn't very helpful in any way. Please refer to this post for the time being:

i'm not trying to be super negative, but i do have a 17" monitor with a decent resolution and it still takes up a large space. i actually did look at the scubaboards place and they have a lot less open space on the left hand side than this does. i mean it's not huge like a foot, but when you're comparing how much viewing space there is on a monitor that is like 17" or so that's a lot of space.

Would it be hard to put the menu on the RIGHT instead of the left. it just seems akward on the left.

i'm relatively new to the board too, and i had no problems getting around. *shrugs*
    Sarah
    Blobeye Syndicate #69

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg

I have a 19inch Flat panel @ 1280x1024 - and it takes up too much space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast