Grammar! Grammar! Grammar! - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grammar! Grammar! Grammar! within the Improving ClubWRX.net forums, part of the News and Announcements category; Originally Posted by AngelBoy and why the **** is everyone taking this so seriously? if your posts are easy to ...

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    and why the **** is everyone taking this so seriously? if your posts are easy to read, why get so defensive? sheesh it's just a suggestion.
    No one likes change

All joking aside, I see your point, but I will be the first to admit that I make drunken posts every so often. This is not a case where I give a crap about my sentences appearing the way they should. I still make it easy to read, I just "fat finger" the keys and occasionally leave a word out. You may see me do something like "tihs", thanks to my mild dyslexia.

I also admit that after a long day at work, I sometimes find it annoying to have to decipher posts. I have been annoyed to the point to closing a thread and reading another one just because I am not in the mood to think harder just to read and relax.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I type too fast and have so little time that it is not worth my effort to proof my own own posts, let alone posts belonging to others.

Life is too short and there are so many things of much better value than allowing someone's writing style, or lack thereof, to affect me personally.

In other words, I think someone needs to relax a bit.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Since most of us do not know each other personally, what you write here is the only way others can relate to you. Therefore, if you have the writing skills of a 5 year old, I will probably assume you're an idiot. I'm not talking about typos, the odd missed word etc., we all do that, but some of the posts are ridiculous.

I don't bother trying to correct people's grammar, but if you insist on telling me that the middle peddle in my car is a "break" pedal, I will assume you are an uneducated fool
    Last edited by BlkWRXWag; 11-04-2005 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Ironically enough... edited for a grammatical blunder!

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag
    Since most of us do not know each other personally, what you write here is the only way others can relate to you. Therefore, if you have the writing skills of a 5 year old, I will probably assume you're an idiot. I'm not talking about typos, the odd missed word etc., we all do that, but some of the posts are ridiculous.

I don't bother trying to correct people's grammar, but if you insist on telling me that the middle peddle in my car is a "break" peddle, I will assume you are an uneducated fool
    thank you. the way we communicate to each other is *typing*, yet everyone here thinks it's a horrible idea to tell people to type correctly.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

everyone here thinks it's a horrible idea to tell people to type correctly.
    Well, it probably is... if you go around correctly everyone's posts, I'm sure it would be viewed as very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    I type too fast and have so little time that it is not worth my effort to proof my own own posts, let alone posts belonging to others.

Life is too short and there are so many things of much better value than allowing someone's writing style, or lack thereof, to affect me personally.

In other words, I think someone needs to relax a bit.
    Dude as soon as i log off it's out of my mind. I'm not asking you to go on a crusade. Maybe a little suggestion to everyone to keep their posts to the point, precise, free from all this junk, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Dude as soon as i log off it's out of my mind. I'm not asking you to go on a crusade. Maybe a little suggestion to everyone to keep their posts to the point, precise, free from all this junk, etc.
    I guess I kind of look at it this way. I have no idea who is on the other end of the keyboard. For me to assume that they are simply lacking in skills based only upon the evidence of their ability to type, spell, grammar check, etc seems a bit arogant. How do I know they are not dislexic, (sp?) or have a disability that somehow prevents or impairs their ability to type properly.

From what I've seen (and been annoyed by), the "boiz" that log in every now and then with their every other CAPITAL letters and unstructured, poorly spelled posts generallly are "regulated" by other members. Sometimes it isn't in the most efficient, expedient or kind manner, but it is basically auto correcting from what I can see. They hang around for a day or a week or so, then you never hear from them again. I'm as guilty as the next person for getting sucked into these posts, but normally it will be to cut off the spread of incorrect information.

I guess I'm having trouble from the perspective of the "minority" dictating the actions of the "majority". I don't believe most folks let this bother them. To post something to the effect of "online sentence structure, spelling, and syntax" for the members to read will not only be useless to most, it is inferring that our membership here is in need of this type of education. That is not why I or anyone else is here.

I've witnessed a few very car knowledable folks here who can't spell for crap, yet I've learned valuable information from them. Who am I to tell them how to speak, as that is essentially what we do here. Your personality is the way you type, but in no way reflects who you are or the level of your intelligence.

The only rule or law that we need apply in situations like this has been well explored by Darwin, and even saying that offends me a bit as no one has control over their genes.

Plus, I just think it is a bit rude and arrogant to impose rules that I expect of myself on to others. If I don't like something about somebody, I either ignore it, or tell them and deal with the fallout. From experience though, it's safe to say you won't change someone by pointing out their faults.

wow....some things just get me to rambling on sometimes. Guess I needed the brain break/diversion.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

no that wasn't rambling, it made me see another side to my argument. that was cool.

it's also proof that you don't have to bash someone to disagree with them.

isn't it grammer?

thanks for wasting my time

Stage II and loving it!

we are all sofa king wee tard did!
    Stage II and loving it!

While there are circumstances that may lead to poor communication skills, that's no excuse for the rest of us. Those of you that get all worked up when someone mentions anything about improving said skills really need to think about others a bit.

The internet is an international medium. Many who read it do not benefit from having English as their first language. Poor grammar and spelling may cause them to misunderstand a post, or to not understand it at all.

And I'm not talking about a misspelled word or a typo here and there. People who consistently misspell words, don't know the proper use of an apostrophe, and use the wrong version of "there," their, or they're (or to, too, and two) should be corrected. The same with those who use "could of" instead of the proper "could've."

Really, poor communication skills stems from the attitude of "me-ism" which is prevalent in our society. Learning becomes less important when passing kids is more important than passing grades. Maybe parents should be less concerned about how their kids look to their friends when being corrected in front of them. That's part of it anyway. When a parent gets more upset that "Johnny got embarrassed" than "Johnny can't read," something's wrong.

Sure, English is a constantly changing language, but in order for it to be understandable, there have to be some conventions.

Of course, Spanish is fast becoming the international language, so maybe none of this matters.

Or, maybe Osama is right.

Remember, the sign of a declining power is decadence.
    Last edited by Marlon Elliott; 11-03-2005 at 06:26 PM.
    "I drove like my mother in the first stage" Gigi Galli, WRC driver, Mitsubishi.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Elliott
    Remember, the sign of a declining power is decadence.
    ...and we all know the only thing more decadent than owning one pontiac sunbird is owning two of em.

giggidy giggidy giggidy!!!!!
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by kiger0183
    isn't it grammer?

thanks for wasting my time

no, it's grammar. this is the second 00wnAgE!! BBQ!! attempt that's backfired in this thread.

(eg, Kiger's post was not grammAtically correct)
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 11-03-2005 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag

I don't bother trying to correct people's grammar, but if you insist on telling me that the middle peddle in my car is a "break" peddle, I will assume you are an uneducated fool
    I pretty much agree with you, and will assume you are an idiot seeing as you can't spell "pedal" right

wow thanks angel boy.
    with a double major in marketing and finance I think i would be able to spell grammar right. I WAS KIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDING
    Stage II and loving it!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.