WTF??? Get one flat tire, dealership wants to replace all 4 tires???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WTF??? Get one flat tire, dealership wants to replace all 4 tires??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Title pretty much says it all. I got a flat on my right rear last night. Drove it to the ...

WTF??? Get one flat tire, dealership wants to replace all 4 tires???

Title pretty much says it all. I got a flat on my right rear last night. Drove it to the dealership on the spare today and they said there's a 2mm(?) tread depth difference between a new tire and the ones already on my car, 10mm for the new vs 8mm on my current tires. The tires have 10,000 miles on them. They're the stock RE92s.

They said to replace all 4, or at least the back 2 because of the Subaru AWD system. Their reason was that different tire tread depths can cause wear in the AWD system becuase the new tire will rotate at a different rate than the old tires.

Is there any truth to this? I don't want to blow a ton of money on some BS. They want $200 per tire (mounted and balanced).
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

they're right. although i think you can just buy 1 tire, and have it shaved to match the depth of the others, the bottom line is you can't have different treads left on different tires.

i have 2 RE92's sitting in my garage with just over 12,000 miles on em, good amount of tread left on em. tell me where your located.

They are correct. With the AWD the tires need to spin at the same rate. If one tire is taller or shorter than the other side the dif is basically burning up the whole time you are driving straight. It could affect the center dif also but I don't think as much as the front or rear.
    Fat, bald, and lazy. What more could a girl want?

People are bastard covered bastards with bastard centers.

Question

This is pretty interesting and I am in no way doubting the effects of different diameter tires affecting the diff in our cars, etc. However, when was the last time that you went out and measured your tread depth off all 4 tires, in multiple spots so that you get a true representation of the actual wear? And if you do, do you trend the wear, so forth and so on?

I don't.

Peace,

Curtis

Its a good excuse to ditch the stockers and put some better shoes on.

I have heard that as well, if they have a signifigant thread difference you can damage the diff.
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

how much differences is that 2mm going to make?

ray
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by WRayX
    how much differences is that 2mm going to make?

ray
    good question, why don't you run a set of tires for their life and let us know how it goes?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSubie02
    i have 2 RE92's sitting in my garage with just over 12,000 miles on em, good amount of tread left on em. tell me where your located.
    I'm in the midwest BlueSubie02. I got some new tires, but thanks for the offer.

I didn't wait to get a tire on becase I didn't want to drive around on the spare doughnut. They got another RE92 on order, should be in next week, so I'll be good. I'll upgrade the tires when it's time to replace all 4 and I don't have to wait. (I'll order new tires ahead of time)

With the discount I can get, it's about teh same price as Tirerack, and that includes mounting. So I guess it's not that bad.

Thanks for the info guys. At least I know my dealership wasn't trying to jerk me around.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

Hmmm...

I can MAYBE see a difference from left to right in extreme cases...
    Front to rear, less of an issue.

However, I would think that driving on that donut spare would be more painful than 2mm tread diff.
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon
    mod list http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2188188-post359.html - hopefully.

A good tire shop should be able to shave the new tire down so it matches the other ones.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipster
    I can MAYBE see a difference from left to right in extreme cases...
    Front to rear, less of an issue.

However, I would think that driving on that donut spare would be more painful than 2mm tread diff.
    Agreed. However, one doesn't normally drive on the mini spare any longer than absolutely necessary, and any faster than stated on the spare itself. On the other hand one could drive on mismatched tread depths indefinitely, and maybe that's what concerns the manual's author(s).

In any case I'm still liking my Avons from TireRack. Not the ultimate dry grip and not the ultimate sidewall stiffness, but very, very good (as good IMO as average "max" performance stuff but at one of the lowest "ultra high" performance price!). Just IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerboy
    They want $200 per tire (mounted and balanced).

u should've went to Costco or something. Mounting and balancing is included in the price. About $110 per tire. They also have Bridgestone discounts ($60) in regular intervals during the year.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipster
    That's why they tell you to only go 50 miles at 50mph or whatever.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

how much damage that 2mm is going to make?

if you are heavy and compresses the tire to 2mm, are you going to harm your car?
    or should you take the action to pump more air on your driver side tire to make it even?

ray
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.