Wah! overfilled gear oil!

This is a discussion on Wah! overfilled gear oil! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i took my car to a subaru dealer today to replace stock gear and rear diff. oil with redline 75w-90. ...

Wah! overfilled gear oil!

i took my car to a subaru dealer today to replace stock gear and rear diff. oil with redline 75w-90. it has 12000mi on it.

after got home, i check on the gear oil level. Wah! it's at least 1qt overfilled.

i've heard it's no good to overfill gear oil. but it's a subaru dealer. is that done on purposely, and correctly?

my wrx is 5speed manual transmission.

i'll call the dealer tomorrow to find out why.

ray
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have also heard that it is not good to overfill. i recently overfilled mine a bit when i did my 30k maintenence. i was able to get under the car and crack the drain bolt enough for it to drip out slowly. its probably only an 1/8th turn difference between a slow drip and having the plug fall out so be careful if you do it yourself.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I Support ClubWRX
    You/they can suck it out with a pump.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    With a manual trans, as long as the breather is clear, it won't do damage, just make a large mess when the fluid expands enough to come out the breather.

As a mechanic of 6 years I can say this....

DRAIN SOME OUT

if you put in too much or use too heavy a weight oil you can blow out seals, breather clear or not. loosen the drain plug and drool a bit out, its a bit messy but... too full is too full and thats all there is to it.

There are holes in the trany case to allow oil to flow from one area to another, the level must be right for the oil to flow properly.

mikey
    Last edited by Mr.Mike; 04-16-2005 at 05:53 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mike
    As a mechanic of 6 years I can say this....

DRAIN SOME OUT

if you put in too much or use too heavy a weight oil you can blow out seals, breather clear or not.

mikey
    In an automatic trans, or a crankcase with pressurized lubrication, you will blow out seals. In a manual gearbox with splash lubrication you won't blow out seals.

ok then, leave it over full... not to be a poo poo head but....

I wouldnt do it, and have drained excess off my self. It maybe ok if you leave it, but personally I wouldnt on my own car or any of my customer's cars.

mikey

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mike
    ok then, leave it over full... not to be a poo poo head but....

I wouldnt do it, and have drained excess off my self. It maybe ok if you leave it, but personally I wouldnt on my own car or any of my customer's cars.

mikey
    I may have phrased my responses the wrong way. I'm not suggesting leaving it overfull, I'm just stating that it won't do damage, just make a large mess

I overfilled mine once too. If you put the 3.7qt that the manual says, then it will be slightly overfilled. Get a funnel and an old oil bottle (with the clear window so you can see how much is in there). Slightly open the drain plug and drain a little out.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you