Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So you got these bulbs laying around, and wondered how to do it..... Headlights (9007) 1.Open the hood (duh) 2. ...

tan

How to change your bulbs

So you got these bulbs laying around, and wondered how to do it.....

Headlights (9007)
    1.Open the hood (duh)

2. Pick a side and start there.

3. For the headlamps (9007), on the connector, there's a serrated edge (on top), squeeze it, and pull out the connecor.

4. Unscrew the retainer (the big black plastic thing) and remove the bulb.

5. Insert new bulb (may be a good idea to clean the bulb with some rubbing alcohol) and put everything back together.

Fog (H3)
    1. Remove three screws (but not the adjuster). use a 10mm socket with a 6" extension or a Phillips screwdriver (I use a 10mm socket, Jim uses a screwdriver)

2. Remove the foglight assembly from the bumper

3. At the back remove the cap of the foglight housing and you'll see the bulb.

4. Push in the metal spring and rotate it out of the way

5. Remove the old H3 bulb, noting its orientation (rectangular notch and half circular notch)

6. Pull on the wiring connector to remove male disconnect of the fog bulb

7. Install new bulb, and lock it into place with the spring retaining clip.

8. Shove the male connector in (angle it in)

9. Reassemble carefully

Turn signals (1156)
    1. Loosen the cap of the connector (it's very tight) then twist out the bulb and reinstall everything.

haven't got to the parking lights (or those europeans call it "city lights") yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The running lights are the easiest bulbs to change out, just pop out the connecter port for it and then pull out the peanut bulbs and replace. no need to clean it with rubbing alcohol cause it isn't a halogen. sweeeeeeet.

for the front to side bulbs, you have to remove the headlamps, and there's a hole big enough to just stick your arm in. pop out the reflector, and then just pop out the bulb. again it's just a peanut bulb, and the reverse the process.

--RaCinWRX

tan
    peanut bulb?

A 168 (5W)/194 (3.5W) type of wedge bulb?

Sorry, i forget that's what only we call it (in my lil group/area)

it's the 12v 5w wedge bulb, i believe (not sure on the number). for the hyper white bulb i bought from hibrid, it's a T10 bulb.

--RaCinWRX

tan
    I guess you got either a Raybrig or Polarg bulb. One of the uses "T10", as their part number.

The common nomenclature for the wedge bulbs are

168 (5W)
    194 (3.5)

If in Europe, W5W.

Tan, how come you know so much intimate detail of the WRX when you have a VW? (not complaining... just wondering)

tan
    Originally posted by beastcivic
    Tan, how come you know so much intimate detail of the WRX when you have a VW? (not complaining... just wondering)
    Here's the quick story:

Last Saturday, I was bored and driving all around, stopped by PlatinumWRX's house. Asked him how he liked the PIAA Superwhite.

To my suprise, he didn't install them yet, they looked too "hard" to do (compared to the Link ECU). He had his hood up earlier, took a quick look, so I knew they weren't that hard to do (because my old car had 9004 bulbs, same socket).

10 minutes later, finished up the headlights (trying to figure out how to remove the connector plug, since it was slightly different from my old car, and my parents Caravan, and Jimi removed the the holder also with the connector plug still attached.

Then we did the fog lights, straight-forward to do.

I was curious about the turn signals, and did it real quick.

The real reason, let's say I'm a car-enthusiast who appreciates most cars instead of bad mouthing every car but the WRX (like a certain someone that drives a competitor's car for the same price point).

You guys have it easy compared to replacing the H7's in my Golf.

Ok, cool. I'm with you. I'll work on any car regardless of what I think of it. I like cars for being what they are. I just don't turn my head for mini vans.... or semi-luxury cars, etc.
    Last edited by beastcivic; 02-24-2003 at 09:04 AM.

Your basic description of changing the headlamp bulb is interesting...you are changing out the WRX bulb, right? The '02 model? I tried and could found it difficult to get my hands on the connector with the leverage to disconnect the connector. I don't have the hands of a five year old. Any more hints?
    Platinum sedan with:
    TurboXS Stage II - TurboXS unichip and downpipe and catback, Godspeed uppipe, TurboXS Type H BOV, silencer removed, carbon fiber dash kit (real), H&R springs, 17" Prodrive P1's Anthracite, Foglight mod with no Daytime, and 20% tint

tan
    The passenger side, you remove the air duct out of your way.

Jim did the passenger side after I instructed him how to do it, and he definitely has bigger hands than me. The screw on holder of the bulb housing does get in the way also.,

tan

What are my light bulbs?

From www.sylvania.com/auto/carapp/

High & low beam headlamp
    Part number = 9007

Upgrade Part Number = 9007ST
    "Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade - Whitest, Brightest, 100% Street Legal"

Upgrade Part Number = 9007CB
    Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade - White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Upgrade Part Number = 9007XV
    XtraVision Halogen Upgrade - Up to 20% Brighter than standard

Upgrade Part Number = 9007LL
    Long Life Halogen Upgrade - Lasts 3x longer

Parking light
    Part number = 168

Front turn signal
    Part number = 1156
    Upgrade Part Number = 1156LL
    Long Life Upgrade - Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Tail light
    Part number = 7443

Stop light
    Part number = 7440

Part number = 7443

High mount stop light
    Part number = 912 (Wagon)

Part number = 921 (Sedan)
    Upgrade Part Number = 921LL

Fog/Driving light
    Part number = H3-55W

License plate
    Part number = 168

Back up light
    Part number = 7440

Front sidemarker
    Part number = 168

Rear sidemarker
    Part number = 168

Ash tray
    Part number = 74

Map light
    Part number = 168

Dome light
    Part number = DE3175

Trunk/Cargo area
    Part number = 912 (Sedan)

Part number = 921 (Wagon)
    Upgrade Part Number = 921LL

tan
    Originally posted by junaitari
    Tan, where do you find all this stuff? Seems like you're always putting good info out there. Thanks!!
    See the link I posted above.....

Oh yeah....

Difference between 168 & 194? Both peanut (wedge) are virtually identical except:

168: 5 watts
    194: 3.5 watts

tan

Myths and some Science of Light bulbs

Quick post about myths of light bulbs, in particular headlight and fog lighting.

The main motivation is the market of halogen bulbs to mimic true HID (High Intensity Discharge, Xenon) systems.

Myth 1:They are brighter than stock halogens
    a. Put easy put it, they are not. White light is all the visible (to the human eye) wavelengths together.

b. In order to produce the "HID" like qualities, manufacturers typically utilize a coating or tinting of the glass.

c. This tint or coating is a Filter. Filters well, to put it in laymen's terms, separate things and let only certains items pass. In lighting terms, it will output only the specific wavelength it was designed for....some sort of blue color (most on the market). Of course with coatings, there will be voids or imperfections (coatings people call this "holidays") were the light isn't filtered.

d. Thus you actually reduce the light output. But our perception makes us think it's brighter.

Myth 2:Higher Color Temperature is better
    http://www.piaausa.com/glossary.html has a nice color temperature chart

a. See myth one. White light coming from regular halogen bulbs is approximately 3200K. Sunlight in the the neighborhood of low 5000K. True HID systems are typically 4300K. Halogen lighting is a different mechanism than HID (heated resistor versus arcing). Again see myth one.

b. Color Temperature is not directly associated with output, measured in lumens. So due to myth one, you get reduced lighting.

Myth 3:55/65 W -> 100/110W, PIAA marketing for Superwhites
    a. Anyone hear of the Laws of Thermodynamics? There is no such thing as a "Perpetual Motion Machine"

b. Energy in = Energy out. Most of the energy out is heat. Someone said "Energy cannot be created nor be destroyed".

Myth 4:High Wattage bulbs are safe to use
    a. Since filters reduce light output, what do manufacturers do to compensate? Increase the power.

b. Fine and dandy, put the extra heat generated, may (I suffered this before) damage the immediate wiring and the headlight connector. Some say it will damage the polycarbonate lens (I don't know since my old car used a glass len). And it may also damage the electrical system (Done that before using 50 watt reverse bulbs sold at an auto parts store). Many have hooked up relays to compensate. The connectors aren't readily available at the local Pep Boys or radio shack.

Myth 5:The package says Xenon
    Halogen lighting is tungsten filament and mostly Krypton gas. Some manufacturers add a trace amount of Xenon gas, just to advertise "Xenon", truth in advertising at least.

Myth 6:Overall they perform better in all weather conditions
    Driving from personal experience, yes they seem a little better when the road is dry, but when the weather becomes foul (or fresh asphalt), much of the light is absorbed into the black asphalt....so you'll be driving blind. Some suggest the blue wavelength refracts and reflects more readily also.

-----------------------------

Well if you want the look, by all means.

I Support ClubWRX
    So do you think that any of the replacement bulbs available are an improvement, while still being safe for the electrical system? Possibly the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs listed in your bulb part# reference thread?

Thanks for all the good info. Keep it coming!

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

tan
    Just avoid the 80/100W bulbs, and other higher wattage bulbs.

I have tried Sylvania XtraVisions in the past, and I do recommend them.

The Sylvania Silverstars are a decent alternative to PIAA superwhites (not nearly as costly), as are Cool Blue/Phillips BlueVision/GE Super Blue (lighter tint than Silverstars, are are still yellow during the day time).

I'm using a bulb imported from Europe (though it's not DOT approved), Phillips VisionPlus. Though for the North American spec WRX, they are not available.

In the lighting forum of VwVortex.com, all the regulars recommend Phillips VisionPlus (though many forget they are not available in 9007 for the NA Spec Jetta), which is a non-tinted bulb. Whenever someone brings up a fake HID bulb, people get flamed way too quickly (they don't respect people who really want the look)

Overall Performance is non-tinted for headlights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.