Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs... - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR The owner's manual state to remove the headlamp or take it to a dealer. I have ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The owner's manual state to remove the headlamp or take it to a dealer. I have both of mine out and will not replace them because they are probably fine; the circuits are terrible and I don't know if it's the connectors or what, but at one point I could tap either headlamp and have the light come back on. Terrible. So I gave up.
    Thanks but I think I have to replace them. Just got the car a couple weeks ago and I think they have to work in NJ to pass inspection. When you say take the headlamp out do you mean the entire assembly? I'd hate to pay the dealer labor and costs, I'm sure it's a pretty penny for 2 little bulbs. I just can't see any other way to get at those 2 little suckers. Just not sure how to remove the whole assembly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Removal is covered in posts 1-4 in this thread (ignore the cooking stuff):
    Koji Style Headlights (02-03) - Instructions

It is not difficult to do. It's just boring and CA does not test lamps; since they are both out, the car looks "normal" to the casual observer.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Cool. I'll check it out. Looking under the hood it almost looks like there's 2 top bolts with flanges that attach the light housing assembly to the frame. I'm sure there's some other "hidden" bolts either on the bottom or side, lol. If not, that's way too simple. Thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at the tabs and the middle pieces between the grille and either headlamp as stated in the other thread and you should be OK. Good luck and welcome to the site.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks again. The instructions are for an '02. Think it's the same as far as bolt locations etc. for an '04 (just different style housing obviously)?

I Support ClubWRX
    Aha, I didn't consider that as I have an 02 myself. Sorry, I don't know about an 04. Check your owner's manual though, it should be in there. I should have read your initial post more carefully, sorry.

Not a problem. It sounds similar as far as the top 2 visible bolts, so it's worth pop out the grill and checking it out. Have a good night.

This question is for Tan or anyone else who has done it before. Do you have a recommendation for the fog lamp ('13')? Is there a brighter bulb that can be safely used or should I be looking for a driving light replacement? Thanks alot.
    Last edited by BMOC; 12-21-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
    This question is for Tan or anyone else who has done it before. Do you have a recommendation for the fog lamp ('13')? Is there a brighter bulb that can be safely used or should I be looking for a driving light replacement? Thanks alot.
    Do you want a fog light pattern or driving light pattern?
    I wouldn't go with a higher wattage bulb for your existing fog lamp. For fog light pattern, and inclement weather lighting, I'd stick to nice h3 55W halogen bulb based foglight projectors such as Hella Micro DE (halogen fog beam version) or Ford Fusion's foglight. If you are ok with a non sealed unit (which means you will need to find a donor housing to retrofit them into), you can also consider Bosch V3 or foglight units from a Lexus ES300.

For a driving light, one way to go is with Hella Micro DE (HID driving beam version), but that's not a budget route.

Thanks Satrya - I'm really looking a little more road illumination on low beams. I don't want to yank out the housings and replace them at this point. The lows just seem weak to me (great HBs, btw) but maybe that just because my night vision is not as good as it once was and I'm coming from a HID car with killer head light range. The h3 55W is an upgrade from stock I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
    Thanks Satrya - I'm really looking a little more road illumination on low beams. I don't want to yank out the housings and replace them at this point. The lows just seem weak to me (great HBs, btw) but maybe that just because my night vision is not as good as it once was and I'm coming from a HID car with killer head light range. The h3 55W is an upgrade from stock I take it?
    55W is the standard wattage; what I was trying to convey is that putting a higher wattage bulb is almost always not sustainable.

The best bet for improving low beam, imho, is replacing the halogen low beams with a proper HID. You could start with an aftermarket headlight as the donor housing (so you don't alter the original) plus a complete kit (not the PnP variety) from theretrofitsource.com (TRS).

On my bugeye, the difference from the oem halogen reflector low/high beams to biXenon is quite noticeable; definitely worth the hassle of retrofitting. Even the "easy" Morimoto Mini H1 provides a great low beam improvement. It's not known for its high beam, but you seem ok with the existing halogen high beams anyway.

I'll check that out for sure - thanks alot.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456