Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs... - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 04 WRX Here's what I know so far.... Low beam: H1 (D2R for STI) High Beam: 9006...

tan
    04 WRX

Here's what I know so far....

Low beam: H1 (D2R for STI)
    High Beam: 9006

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

04 Fog - H3
    Low Beam - H1
    High " " - 9005/HB3
    Parking Light - 168
    Front T/signal - 7440 (white)
    Reverse - 7440 (white)
    Rear T/signal - 7440 (amber) dealer only?

Got this out of my manual, hope it helps.
    04 JBP
    Stock - they are watching.

bump for jim
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

What is the P/N for the "wedge bulb" next to the headlamp on the 02/03? We just put white bulbs in fengshui's car and the wedge bulbs look super yellow now. I'd like to put some blue LEDs in there.

-Jim

168/194 I believe. Don go blue always legal trouble, if you get white LED's it looks much better. Has that off white/bluish look to it like HID lights.
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"

I just replaced the 168 bulbs in my headlights with white LEDs. I bought them from: http://www.superbrightleds.com/ They look great. Bit of a PITA, though. You have to take the headlights completely out to change the bulbs.
    "The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts... attitudes... prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to The Twilight Zone."

Best Regards,
    Ah Clem

Yeah thats where I got mine from. Only problem is if you get the multiple clusters they tend to burn out quicker than the single ones.
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"

Sylania Silverstar

I installed the Silverstars a few months ago. Better looking than the oem bulbs. Whiter. At first, it's hard to see any difference, especially when you're like me and use fog lights all the time.

If you buy 'em, my suggestion is to install ONLY 1, leaving the oem bulb in the remaining side, then turn lights on to compare, if for nothing else then to see how much of an improvement you bought.

Also, install tip for whatever headlights you buy: remove battery stay bracket. This makes it much easier to remove/install the bulb on that side. Remember, don't touch the glass if at all possible, manufacture says it'll burn out faster (something to do with the oil from your skin getting on the bulb).

Good luck.

Originally posted by XtmX
    04 Fog - H3
    Low Beam - H1
    High " " - 9005/HB3
    Parking Light - 168
    Front T/signal - 7440 (white)
    Reverse - 7440 (white)
    Rear T/signal - 7440 (amber) dealer only?

Got this out of my manual, hope it helps.
    Rear T/signal - P21W

Just changed mine today. Luckily I had some spares, cause I thought they were 7440 also. But now they are silver and blink amber, and I'm happy. Philips Silvervision makes the silver P21W bulbs.

For some *dumb* reason I can't get my headlight bulbs out (bugeye).. I'm pressing down on what looks to be the tab holding the connector but it won't pull out.. any tips?

So...
    I have been reading as much as possible on the subject of lighting...living in VT we don't have the luxury of street lamps...with the added bonus of Moose, deer, beavers (saw 4 dead in the past week) and other assorted car damaging fauna. Not to mention weather...snow, rain, fog, all the favorites.

I have been looking to upgrade the bulbs on my 04 WRX. What I want to avoid is making things worst in the bad weather, I would like to actually improve that. I was thinking of the PIAA yellow bulbs mentioned in a previous thread.
    For my high beam bulbs I was looking to go with a Sylvania Silver Star, in an attempt to throw a slightly brighter high beam...and for the lows I was thinking of maybe going with a Piaa yellow bulb, to improve the bad weather performance...(reflecting light of fat snow flakes sucks).

I was wondering if anyone has set something like that up on their car?
    Or if you guys thought that would really improve things?
    Should I just stick with the stock lights?

I thought PIAA only made the Ion bulbs in H3, which would fit the foglights, and nothing else on an '04. Also, it probably is different in every state, but yellow headlights, if you can find them, are illegal. They don't put out as much light either, because of the tint. The light they DO put out does help with contrast, so they work well in bad weather. Same reason sharpshooters have yellow tinted glasses, to help with contrast.

I'd defientley recommed the PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs for the fogs, and as for the other bulbs, I think I've read some stuff about certain wavelengths getting through fog and snow better than other wavelenghts. Maybe someone else can chime in more on that

You're right...I posted that before I checked that they had the H1...I am definitly going with them for the H3's...I just want to know about the highs and lows...thanks for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by robertln
    it's hard to see any difference, especially when you're like me and use fog lights all the time.
    Amongst all the physics and engineering, I'm going to throw in some neuro-physiology. While you are conciously focusing on the distance, straining to see as far as you can in the dark, your brain is unconciously concentrating on the area with the brightest light levels. So if you create a bright area just a few feet in front of the car (drive with the fogs on) you are actually reducing your ability to see into the distance. Ever noticed how you're sometimes distracted by something on the road surface in that bright area, even though you're not looking anywhere near it? Turn them off and it may look darker out there, but your ability to see things will be improved.

Bottom line: there's a reason why they're called "fog lights". Only use them when visibility is reduced: fog, snow, heavy rain. They can also be useful when overtaking trucks in the rain in daylight; put them on and you can see the side of the road out of the corner of your eye, even if visibility is almost zero in the spray.

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    I just wanted to add to this. I have an 04, and my rear blinkers are NOT PY21W's. They are WY21W's...which is essentially just a 21 Watt 7440 bulb. I bought some 7440's and they fit in there perfectly.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast