Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs... - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX light bulbs... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Tan obviously has an engineering background.... I agree completely. I once had a set of 55 watt fog lamps from ...

Tan obviously has an engineering background....

I agree completely. I once had a set of 55 watt fog lamps from Hella, into which i wanted to place 100 watt bulbs. I did it, and got the proper fuse for the wattage at 12v. They were INCREDIBLY bright. But what happened? One night while i was aiming them (ie i had them on with no air passing around them to cool them) they caught fire right at the lense....
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A friend got some "brighter" lights and they did in deed seem brighter, but he started yelling "speed bump!" and I didn't slow down in time because I couldn't see them. The stupid lights washed out the color soo much that I couldn't see the bump.

I used to have those blue bulbs in my outback (both the headlights and the fogs). I also had some regular halogen driving lights.

one night, while driving back from a day of snowboarding at Breckenridge, I got caught in a blizzard. In almost whiteout conditions, the only way I could see ANYTHING was to turn off my headlights and foglights and run with the normal colored driving lights.

Blue bulbs reflect off of snow 10 times more than regular bulbs (no that's not a scientifically proven fact...I'm just exagerrating) Stick with the normal color and get some yellow fog bulbs.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i just realized something - tan makes a very comprehensive overview of lighting systems in cars

mods, can we make this one a sticky?
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Anyone has experience with the Hella 100/80W bulbs? These are Halogen bulbs and Hella is not advertising them as Xenon bulbs. They are supposed to be really bright. I'm upgrading my plug to accept the heat these bigger bulbs put out. The plugs are being sold for ~$3 each.

I'm going to get the PIAA long range driving lights and mount them under (or maybe over) my liscense plate...They project yellow, in a pencil beam pattern. I have xenon bulbs in my headlights now, and my stock bulbs in my foglights..Is this a good combo? or should i just put the long range lights where my fogs are now, and only have 2 sets of lights? Thanks
    Scott

tan
    The only problem I can forsee involves the police.

Any auxilary mounted lights, whether it's driving lights or pencil beam (designed for use with high beams) are still considered to be fog lights.

I've in the past have ran driving lights with low beams (aim the driving lights down just a bit), without any problems from the boys in blue.

The problem is, running the stock fogs with the pencil beams...you might get a ticket for too many light operating in the front.

Likewise you can't run the pencil beams with the high beams.

Originally posted by tan
    The only problem I can forsee involves the police.

Any auxilary mounted lights, whether it's driving lights or pencil beam (designed for use with high beams) are still considered to be fog lights.
    I concur. It's a very good idea to check with your local & state laws. I know in california, you can only have 2 pairs of forward facing lights turned on at any time on public roads. Also, each kind of light (be it auxiliary driving, auxiliary passing, fog, low/high driving, off-road) has certain requirements on their vertical height and cutoff angles. So, you need to make sure the amount of forward facing lights turned on at any given time, total forward facing lights (on or not), beam pattern & cutoff, among other things, to comply to whatever state / local laws you happen to be in.

Just as an f.y.i., here is a link to someone's experience regarding auxiliary lights. I don't know this person, but it may be useful to read this if you're considering adding lighting units on your vehicle. This is California-law specific btw, but may be useful for other states anyway.
    legality of aux lights

Well im not worried about legality issues.. i'm not supposed to go 120 everywhere but i do :P

but seriously, i'm just thinking as a lighting pattern..i guess the fogs would be low and out wide, regular lights would get midway and the pencil beams would shoot real far..but will they shoot alot farther then highbeems?

tan
    I have no experience with pencil beams personally. My guess is yes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, they'll easily outdistance the high beams.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

What about a brighter replacement for the little bulb next to the headlight- not the turn signal, but I guess you'd call it a running light?

tan
    the parking light.

It should be a 168 bulb from the factory.

194 is more available, but dimmer.

You could try a "fake-HID" wedge bulb if you want to,.

Whats the part number for the rear turn signals? I bought 1156s but the little nubs aren't in the same spots.

Should I get replacements or would it be alright if I sanded one down?

tan
    see page 1 of this thread.

The part number, if I remember correctly, is for a P21W bulb.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast