Oil Change Interval Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil Change Interval Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am almost at my 6k service and I have a question if I should change my oil or not ...

Oil Change Interval Question

I am almost at my 6k service and I have a question if I should change my oil or not
    I switched to M1 5W-30 at 3k and i dont drive my car much because i am at school so by car has been sitting in my garage for about 5 months and i only drive it when im home on break... Im wondering if i should change my oil at 6k or can i wait till 9k to change my oil
    Im stuck on what to do and id appreciate your help...thank guys
    Matt
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you are safe waiting with the M1. I plan to switch to that with my next oil change and will probably go 5-6k between changes with it, especially since most of my driving is interstate (albeit fast driving).

I now have 22k miles on my '04 and accidentally waited 8k between changes on a synthetic blend...DOH. But havent had any problems.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's sitting I would highly recommend changing it more often. Dunno about synthetics, but Dino oil gets a bit acidic over time and can really tear up the inside of the motor if left to sit.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    If it's sitting I would highly recommend changing it more often. Dunno about synthetics, but Dino oil gets a bit acidic over time and can really tear up the inside of the motor if left to sit.
    I was told that's one of the reasons you switch to Synthetic .
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I hope you are using a fuel stabilizer. Gas is only good for about 30 days at best.

i did change my oil and i just used an oem filter.....i didnt do anythin about the fuel but i used a fuel system cleaner when i changed my oil
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Usually if I am going to store a vehicle or motorcycle for an extended period, I usually follow these steps.
    1.) Fill up the gas tank and pour fuel stabilzer in the tank.
    2.) Pull out the air filter element and put a rag inside of it so nothing can get inside(insects, moisture), I also do the same in the exhaust pipes.
    3.) Pull out the spark plugs and pour a table spoon of oil down the cyllinders.
    4.) Pull out the battery.
    5.) Change the oil when it is about to be stored and change it again once it comes out of storage.

If you don't feel like doing all of these steps, I would say the first and fifth step would be the easiest and most important. Or, just have a family member drive it for about 20-30 minutes once every two weeks. that will bring the car up to operating temp. and keep things lubricated and in working order. Also, wash the car good and put a good coat of wax on her before placed in storage. -scott

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.