Carbon buildup in throttle body? Advise

This is a discussion on Carbon buildup in throttle body? Advise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, when I went for my 30k maintenance, the dealership said there was carbon buildup on the throttle body, ...

Carbon buildup in throttle body? Advise

Hey guys, when I went for my 30k maintenance, the dealership said there was carbon buildup on the throttle body, which means injectors too. They want 89 bucks to clean it (they said they don't just use a fuel additive, they hook up to the fuel system and use high pressure to blow it out). Can I do this myself, or will the in the tank injector cleaner do it? Thanks
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by arm-d
    Hey guys, when I went for my 30k maintenance, the dealership said there was carbon buildup on the throttle body, which means injectors too. They want 89 bucks to clean it (they said they don't just use a fuel additive, they hook up to the fuel system and use high pressure to blow it out). Can I do this myself, or will the in the tank injector cleaner do it? Thanks
    Carbon buildup on the throttle body, and clogged injectors are two separate problems. The only way you will get clogged injectors at 30k is by using contaminated fuel, or letting the car sit for a long period of time. If you are experiencing a missfire or other problems because of clogged injectors, have them clean it. If you are playing it safe, mix a gallon of xylene to a full tank of gas to clean them. The throttle body is easy to clean. Remove the intercooler, and clean the throttle body out with fuel injector cleaner (gumout). If it is really dirty, remove the throttle body and do so. Make sure you don't drop anything in the intake when doing so. Put it back together and start the car. Give it a minute or so to burn the gumout before flogging it. It's as easy as that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a thread about injector cleaning:

Fluid Change Today

Here's a huge thread about cleaning the intake with SeaFoam. This is for a Toyota truck but it's the same for your car. Just be aware that if you allow the turbo to spool during this procedure (if you do it right, it won't) it'll pump the SeaFoam back out the hose:

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=35112

For the TB, just pull the intercoler and use a toothbrush along with carb cleaner or SeaFoam.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Thank you both.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

anyone ever use that stuff on their car???
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    anyone ever use that stuff on their car???
    I've never used the seafoam. Actually, until Chris posted that, I'd never heard of it. I've always had good results with good 'ol spray can carb/fuel injection cleaner, and xylene/toulene. That doesn't mean it's not a good product, I've just never tried it. I'm putting that on my "products to try" list

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I've never used the seafoam. Actually, until Chris posted that, I'd never heard of it. I've always had good results with good 'ol spray can carb/fuel injection cleaner, and xylene/toulene. That doesn't mean it's not a good product, I've just never tried it. I'm putting that on my "products to try" list

Me too!

So now... how would we induce our throttle body with this stuff, anyone?
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't THINK there is a vacuum hose directly in front of the throttle body.....but if so, you could do it there. Probably the best way to clean the thottle body is to remove the IC and get at it with a toothbrush and cleaner.

I've used SeaFoam on my truck and my Alfa Romeo. My WRX just didn't have enough miles on it to need it. It's available at Checker/Advance/etc. Like the directions say, just find a handy vacuum hose coming from the intake manifold. Dip it in and let it suck up the SeaFoam. Give the car just a bit of throttle to keep it from stalling. Be conservative - people from the "more is better" school of thought have damaged engines by hydrolocking them. It just doesn't need to go in in big quantities quickly. You'll be fine as long as you don't set out to intentionally over-do it. Then shut the motor down and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then fire it up. I recommend taking it for a drive so than nobody calls the fire department thinking your garage is on fire. I drive it easy 'till it all burns out, though I guess an argument could be made to really stand on it.......

I got excellent results with the truck (160k rough miles) less so with the Alfa (45k babied miles). Better idle, smoother running, more responsiveness, I guess a bit more power. The amount of smoke it makes after soaking is just comical. The looks on people's faces as I drive by is priceless.

I have yet to hear any bad things about SeaFoam - except the hydrolock issue, but even then the people were like "well, I thought if a little was good, a lot was better so I just dumped the whole can straight in!". The Subaru motor's low compression ratio makes it less prone to hydrolocking anyway. Use a narrow vacuum line rather than, say, the brake booster.

C
    Last edited by GV27; 03-23-2005 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Thought of something
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    OH! I just thought of this. It is available in aerosol cans. You could do the throttle body by loosening up the clamp on the IC end of the IC to TB hose, jam the little red hose in there and spray!

It'd be better to use a brush, but if you're nervous about removing the IC or are in a hurry, that's help.

C

1993 Honda CBR600F2