Slow leak in one of my stock RE92s
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Slow leak in one of my stock RE92s within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've still got the stock RE92s. There's only about 10,000 miles on them, so there's plenty of tread left. Last ...

Slow leak in one of my stock RE92s

I've still got the stock RE92s. There's only about 10,000 miles on them, so there's plenty of tread left. Last week, I noticed that my right-rear tire was pretty low, so I filled it up (this was last Friday). It's stayed pretty full until today, when I noticed that it was getting low again. There's obviously a slow leak in it somewhere, I just can't find it. There isn't anything that I can see that's stuck in it, so I don't know.

Is a leak this slow something that some of that fix-a-flat stuff could take care of? I've never used it before, so I don't know if it's bad or not. I know that the stock RE92s suck, so, should I just get them all replaced? Any suggestions on some decent all-seasons?
    (Believe me, I've searched. The only things I came up with were replacement tires for aftermarket wheels.)

Thanks!
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well one of two things.

1. Take it to a tire shop and have them patch it.

2. Replace those with brand new pimpin azz shoes like Pirelli P zero nero M+S. I can't get those tires because i have an XT but If I had a wrx they would be on the second i bought the car.

two cents.
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer
    I've still got the stock RE92s. There's only about 10,000 miles on them, so there's plenty of tread left. Last week, I noticed that my right-rear tire was pretty low, so I filled it up (this was last Friday). It's stayed pretty full until today, when I noticed that it was getting low again. There's obviously a slow leak in it somewhere, I just can't find it. There isn't anything that I can see that's stuck in it, so I don't know.

Is a leak this slow something that some of that fix-a-flat stuff could take care of? I've never used it before, so I don't know if it's bad or not. I know that the stock RE92s suck, so, should I just get them all replaced? Any suggestions on some decent all-seasons?
    (Believe me, I've searched. The only things I came up with were replacement tires for aftermarket wheels.)

Thanks!
    Hi Lee

Fix-A-Flat is bad news for a tire. It eats away at the inside of the tire. Take it to a tire shop, and have them inspect it. There could be a small hole that can be patched, or just a leaky valve stem. If you have decided to get some new all seasons, my friend has been installing many of these on WRX's lately, and has been receiving rave reviews.

Goodyear triple treads

Excellent advice, guys! Thanks!

I think I'm going to get some fix-a-flat, just to hold it over until this weekend. Then, I'll go by NTB or wherever and get some new tires put on. These RE92s suck.

-Lee

good choice, new tires are the way to go. i think i'm going to try toyo proxes4 for my winter tires next year (). they are considered an "all-season" tire, though they dont look anythinglike it lol, and i dont do enough driving in actual snow to make the snow tires worth it. just my suggestion
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Hi Lee

Fix-A-Flat is bad news for a tire. It eats away at the inside of the tire. Take it to a tire shop, and have them inspect it. There could be a small hole that can be patched, or just a leaky valve stem. If you have decided to get some new all seasons, my friend has been installing many of these on WRX's lately, and has been receiving rave reviews.

Goodyear triple treads
    To add to that typically when you use fix-a-flat you have to take the tire in to a tire shop anyway because it puts liquid in your tire. I think it even says to have it fixed by a shop ASAP. Everone should know water in the tire will make a severe vibration.

It's not worth the trouble. Take the tire in to get fixed. It could be a rim leak, valve stem or a puncture.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer

Thanks!
    If you go with a repair, be sure it is a combination patch / plug they use. Many shops simply plug a tire without taking off of the rim - not good. The inside of the tire needs to be inspected for damage. Tire Rack has this info in one of their write ups.

yeah, when i was a service advisor sometimes i'd ahve a hard time justifying why the local garage would fix a tire for $5 when i charged $25. a patch is much more durable, plus w'd find lots of times that the tire was no good after its off the wheel. with a plug, they just stick it in and fill you up; later you end up with a leak again
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla
    yeah, when i was a service advisor sometimes i'd ahve a hard time justifying why the local garage would fix a tire for $5 when i charged $25. a patch is much more durable, plus w'd find lots of times that the tire was no good after its off the wheel. with a plug, they just stick it in and fill you up; later you end up with a leak again
    Tire plugs actually rarely leak. The problem with tire plugs is the cutting and spreading of the belts in the tire. They will cause a wobble, and eventually premature tire failure down the road.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.