Time to change timing belt on 02 wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Time to change timing belt on 02 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Should I get it done right away? or is it safe to put it off??...

Time to change timing belt on 02 wrx

Should I get it done right away? or is it safe to put it off??
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the car? That is probably most important to know.

I am not sure if the Subaru Boxer engine is designed with "0" clearance like Honda engines. If it is, then it is very important, cause when the belt breaks, the values fall and are crushed by the pistons

It is kind of the only way to kill a Honda engine.

Any thoughts from anyone else???
    Go fast...

2002 WRX PLATINUM SILVER
    SHORT THROW SHIFTER
    TURBO GAUGE
    WING
    ALL THE REST IS FILLING.....

The car has 105,000 miles It's a toss up, do timing belt or get up/down pipe for $600. Been saving for 6 months.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I Support ClubWRX
    If it is the original timing belt, definately change it. The expense of changing it now is much cheaper than the expense of rebuilding two heads (and possibly more damage)later

when does the service manual state when the belt should be changed. (sorry, being lazy)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by prspect06
    when does the service manual state when the belt should be changed. (sorry, being lazy)
    I believe the t-belt change interval is 105000 miles.

Do the belt. Subie engines DO have interferance heads and WILL bend valve and or punch holes in pistons if the belt breaks. Timing belts should be taken seriously. If service calls for 105k and you drive the least bit hard do it sooner. Services are for normal drivers who tend to not beat the car.

Mike

Thanks for the nudges in the right direction. I'm makeing an apointment for replaceing belt today. Up&down pipes will have to wait.

on a nice note.... it shouldnt cost much. my local mech quoted me for around 200 bucks, No I havent done it yet shhhhh.... dont tell any one LOL I think its good to pratice what you preach..... but i ran out of cash this month

good luck to you

Mike

i got a quote for $150 in LA area at a good mechanic

thinking to also upgrade the belt.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

upgrade the belt to what?

BVM
    like this or a power enterprise one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
    "The fate of the world rests in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun".

the way i see it when it comes to timing belts i would just go OE that would be your best bet that way if it fails 9 times out of 10 if you put up enough of a fight the dealer will replace it for you. at least nissan does.
    ASE Certified tech. Nissan Master Certified

2003 WRB Auto Wingless Wrx Turbo Timer
    Perrin Short Intake, Downpipe And CatBack. Waiting on the weather for install to cold.

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertable 355Ci 423rwhp 593 ft/lbs tq Nice little play toy

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968OldsMan
    the way i see it when it comes to timing belts i would just go OE that would be your best bet that way if it fails 9 times out of 10 if you put up enough of a fight the dealer will replace it for you. at least nissan does.
    I've never heard of a dealer replacing a timing belt for free unless it was defective, because it's considered a wear item.

lol they going to replace my munched engine as well. if it breaks.

I think I will try a stronger belt
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.