quick question

This is a discussion on quick question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so I took my intercooler off today to clean the engine a bit and to put in the infamous ...

quick question

Okay so I took my intercooler off today to clean the engine a bit and to put in the infamous blowoff valve return hose that came with my IC hose set - finally got around to doing it and what a *****!!!!!! but at least everything matches blue......now...anyway when I took off the intercooler I noticed some sludgy dark crap - looked like oil - inside the y pipe hose - now there was by no means a lot of it -just a bit of a slimy coating inside where the y pipe hose meets the throttle body - nothing on or inside the throttle body - just inside the hose a bit - is this normal or do I have some kind of wierd oil leak somewhere??? thanks - Dan

ps I checked my stock intercooler y pipe - the plastic one that was on before I put in my gpmoto hoses and sure enough the same little bit of oily sludge was inside this one as well.....
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do a search on "oil catch cans" and you'll see some good descriptions about why there's oil in the intake and how you can eliminated that problem with an oil catch can. Cheers.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brminpin
    Do a search on "oil catch cans" and you'll see some good descriptions about why there's oil in the intake and how you can eliminated that problem with an oil catch can. Cheers.
    Exactly what he said. That is why people ues catch cans. Oil blow by is recirculated through the system to be burned with the fuel and air charge. What you see is a culmilation of blow by that has built up. Same thing happens on SRT-4's. It can all be cured with a $20 air compressor line filter.

thanks guys! - you rock - peace - Dan
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info