Bad Alternator??

This is a discussion on Bad Alternator?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My factory subaru battery went dead about a month and a half ago. I took it to orileys(sp?) and theirtester ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Bad Alternator??

My factory subaru battery went dead about a month and a half ago. I took it to orileys(sp?) and theirtester said it was bad. So then I bought an Optima Red Top battery thinking my battery woes would be over. However, today when I went to start my car it was very slugish, then when I was trying to leave school it wouldn't even turn over. After I turned off my radio, fan, lights it was able to start but just barley.

What gives? I thought this was supposed to be a good battery... My car only has ~55k miles on it. Could the alternator be going out already?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it could be your starter, check that and the altenator

I Support ClubWRX
    Trainrex might have a better method of checking but this is what we usually do at my work to check real quick. Keep the car running with all the lights/ radio/ wipers going and have the tester on. The battery tester shouldnt be going down because your alt. should be supporting the load. If the amps are going down then the alt. isnt charging and it's draining the battery. You may also have a defective battery.....never rule out not having a defective part.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Well.. I took my car up to O'Rilies and had them test everything. The guy didn't really seem to know what he was doing.. first he said it was my starter. but then after I killed it the battery was showing low. I exchanged it and so far so good. I guess it was a bad battery.

Apparently even Optima turns out a bad one every now and then..

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd just keep an eye on it, simple because it still could be your alt. If the alt is charging the battery will show a low charge once the car is turned off because while the car was running it was draining the battery. I'm not really sure why he thought a charging issue was starter related......but oh well.....good lucky and hopefuly it was a faulty battery.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

The alternator was charging at 13.9 volts so I think it's okay. So far so good with the new battery.. I gave it a little test by leaving my radio on for over an hour and it still had plenty of power.