Is My Clutch Going Bad?????

This is a discussion on Is My Clutch Going Bad????? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i need everyones help.... i think my clutch is going bad, but its crazy cuz there is only 44k ...

Is My Clutch Going Bad?????

hey i need everyones help.... i think my clutch is going bad, but its crazy cuz there is only 44k miles on it!....i got the car with 43K miles on it, so unless the guy that had it before me drove it bad i dont see how it would be bad....
    heres the deal.....if i am cruzin in like 3rd, 4th, or whatever gear, and then get on the gas harder (not downshift) my RPMs spike to the redline really fast.....no my foot is not on the clutch....then the RPMs go back down and to normal accleration and accelereate normally after that.......i think my clutch is slipping.....i dunno
    also if i am stopped and get on it hard when i shift to 2nd (at like 6500 RPM) once i am in 2nd the rpms stay around 5500 or 6000 for a while....then drop down slowly then begin to go back up again normally.....the car continues to accelerate but i think the clutch is slipping......and sometimes i smell the clutch.....any one know what the problem is?
    i appreiciate your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Claymra
    hey i need everyones help.... i think my clutch is going bad, but its crazy cuz there is only 44k miles on it!....i got the car with 43K miles on it, so unless the guy that had it before me drove it bad i dont see how it would be bad....
    heres the deal.....if i am cruzin in like 3rd, 4th, or whatever gear, and then get on the gas harder (not downshift) my RPMs spike to the redline really fast.....no my foot is not on the clutch....then the RPMs go back down and to normal accleration and accelereate normally after that.......i think my clutch is slipping.....i dunno
    also if i am stopped and get on it hard when i shift to 2nd (at like 6500 RPM) once i am in 2nd the rpms stay around 5500 or 6000 for a while....then drop down slowly then begin to go back up again normally.....the car continues to accelerate but i think the clutch is slipping......and sometimes i smell the clutch.....any one know what the problem is?
    i appreiciate your help
    Yeah, the clutch is toast. The more you let it slip, the more parts you can damage from the heat (flywheel in particular).
    Dirk Starksen
    President / CTO
    Advanced Clutch Technology Inc.

Do You have any free play in the clutch pedal? Always start at the pedal. You should have at least one inch in freeplay before the cluch starts to dis-engage.
    The release or throwout bearing maybe partially engaged, causing the disk to slip.
    im not really sure if we have "self-adjusting" clutch pedals. If its not the clutch pedal, then the clutch disk is worn
    Might want to take it in to see if they could adjust it.
    Last edited by bklSTi; 03-04-2005 at 11:05 PM.
    04 Pearl Black STi-
    GT35R...

*88 Mustang Foxbody-
    Not Stock!!=475RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Get some kneepads and open your mouth

I Support ClubWRX
    New clutch time!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Claymra
    i appreiciate your help
    I propose a sticky here as this sounds like a textbook case of a clutch going. Then others who wonder if their clutch is going can search this.

Sorry to hear about it though...it sucks. Anyone know what a new clutch costs (OEM spec) installed? Just curious since I may run into this soon.

This is just a guess but cost for replacement......

probably a couple hundred for a clutch kit.. clutch, throw out berring pressure plate.

probably 5 hours labor or so.... toyota P/U is a 9 hour job, VW Golf is a 3 hr job. I would say that 5 hrs is fair... so depending on the shop.... say $50 an hour...

your looking at 500 or so

Then again...... WRC can do a trany swap in 17 minutes LOL but I think it would cost more to hire Prodrive to come to your house to change your clutch in 17 min then to take to your local shop LMAO

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mike
    This is just a guess but cost for replacement......

probably a couple hundred for a clutch kit.. clutch, throw out berring pressure plate.

probably 5 hours labor or so.... toyota P/U is a 9 hour job, VW Golf is a 3 hr job. I would say that 5 hrs is fair... so depending on the shop.... say $50 an hour...

your looking at 500 or so

Then again...... WRC can do a trany swap in 17 minutes LOL but I think it would cost more to hire Prodrive to come to your house to change your clutch in 17 min then to take to your local shop LMAO

Mike

That sounds about right. Give or take.
    04 Pearl Black STi-
    GT35R...

*88 Mustang Foxbody-
    Not Stock!!=475RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Get some kneepads and open your mouth

i appreiciate everyones help, it drives good, unless i have to give it a lot of gas....so in the next week or so ill get it looked at....if anyone has more info on good clutches to get(that are inexpensive as far as clutches go) -some that are the same quality as the stock or a little better- let me know how much, and what they are....

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I'm having similar problems. Not quite at the point were you're at, but at 54K miles, it's slipping bad when I'm at the track. Street driving is fine, except a funky pedal feel, so if I take it easy, it should last at least another couple of months (2 to be exact). ACT makes very inexpensive kits, they're very durable and a favorite among many tuners. The only downside is very short engagement, meaning that it's almost like an on/off on the engagement of the clutch. My buddy's feels like a hair-trigger, and it takes me a few tries just to get it going, and...it's very heavy. Subaru clutches in general are heavy-feeling pedals, but it's getting to the point were cramps are inevitable in traffic.

Exedy clutches won't clasp as strongly, nor last quite as long, but they generally are cheaper, and feel much more like the oem one. ACTman....time to shamelessly plug some solutions....meaning clutch kits and flywheel combo's, along with some prices and labor rates..(hint I'm in Northridge and am looking for parts).

Personally, I'm swapping out my gears along with the clutch and flywheel. Don't really feel like paying twice for the same labor.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

thanks everyone, i got a new clutch installed at the local dealer. it is just a stock one i guess, i did not ask what it was. i really like it but still have to get used to it.....i feel like i am learning how to drive a stick all over again because the clutch point is like on and off like you said, and is a little lower down than what it used to be....but in a few days i wont even think a/b it anymore
    good luck on yours by the way

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Thanks. I'm still waiting on a quote for a clutch and flywheel combo though...cough "hint" cough.....
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.