any idea of heavy smells of gas ? near wrx

This is a discussion on any idea of heavy smells of gas ? near wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hmmm....this is my question, i alway experience a heavy smell of gas around the car.... is that normal ?...

any idea of heavy smells of gas ? near wrx

hmmm....this is my question, i alway experience a heavy smell of gas around the car....
    is that normal ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, one idea...um, RUN!

J/K, sometimes a car that's running severely rich will pass a good deal of unburned fuel through the fuel system and smell like that. Do you have any way of monitoing your mixture (datalogging, air-fuel meter, etc.)?
    I own various Miatas and RX-7's in race trim
    One or two of them actually run now :-)
    Soon to posess a Scooby...

gas smells heavier in the morning when i warm up the car..or at start up.....

or parked.....
    can dealer check the mixture ?

Yeah, your dealer should have a datalogger to check out things like this. I'd definately go get that looked at. I don't think you are hurting anything (yet), but get it done.
    I own various Miatas and RX-7's in race trim
    One or two of them actually run now :-)
    Soon to posess a Scooby...

Have you modified your exhaust at all? Once I went catless, there was a major increase in exhaust/fuel smell.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

my car is stock....4000mil on it

i will bring it to my dealer........asap, hope nothing wrong

Originally posted by Lord
    my car is stock....4000mil on it

i will bring it to my dealer........asap, hope nothing wrong
    Good call. It's probably an easy fix. The WRX has an "easy to access" fuel system.

-Jim

raw fuel smell!

Any one having this problem should bring their car to the dealer IMMEDIATELY, just do a search on www.nasioc.com (key word - fuel smell) and you will find several posts, and learn more about this problem. From what I have read - it seems like there is a clamp that was not fitted well and this clamp gets worst on very cold days, to a point where there is fuel actually leaking from one of the fuel lines.

I smelt the same strong fuel odor in the cabin of my 2002 WRX a few days ago and I took my car to the dealer they actually found the leak, unfortunately they have tried several things and have not been able to fix this problem. IMO -a fuel line leak in the engine compartment can be very very dangerous - and some of you guys may have the same problem. I would not take any chances with a problem of this nature - Please take your car to your dealer and have them fix the problem immediately....

i don't know, i smell a little bit of fuel during cold starts. goes away in a minute or two though. i think its just a function of the car going through a cold start cycle.

i'm due for a service, so i'll check it out then, but i don't think there's a big issue.

dR