any idea of heavy smells of gas ? near wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on any idea of heavy smells of gas ? near wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hmmm....this is my question, i alway experience a heavy smell of gas around the car.... is that normal ?...

any idea of heavy smells of gas ? near wrx

hmmm....this is my question, i alway experience a heavy smell of gas around the car....
    is that normal ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, one idea...um, RUN!

J/K, sometimes a car that's running severely rich will pass a good deal of unburned fuel through the fuel system and smell like that. Do you have any way of monitoing your mixture (datalogging, air-fuel meter, etc.)?
    I own various Miatas and RX-7's in race trim
    One or two of them actually run now :-)
    Soon to posess a Scooby...

gas smells heavier in the morning when i warm up the car..or at start up.....

or parked.....
    can dealer check the mixture ?

Yeah, your dealer should have a datalogger to check out things like this. I'd definately go get that looked at. I don't think you are hurting anything (yet), but get it done.
    I own various Miatas and RX-7's in race trim
    One or two of them actually run now :-)
    Soon to posess a Scooby...

Have you modified your exhaust at all? Once I went catless, there was a major increase in exhaust/fuel smell.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

my car is stock....4000mil on it

i will bring it to my dealer........asap, hope nothing wrong

Originally posted by Lord
    my car is stock....4000mil on it

i will bring it to my dealer........asap, hope nothing wrong
    Good call. It's probably an easy fix. The WRX has an "easy to access" fuel system.

-Jim

raw fuel smell!

Any one having this problem should bring their car to the dealer IMMEDIATELY, just do a search on www.nasioc.com (key word - fuel smell) and you will find several posts, and learn more about this problem. From what I have read - it seems like there is a clamp that was not fitted well and this clamp gets worst on very cold days, to a point where there is fuel actually leaking from one of the fuel lines.

I smelt the same strong fuel odor in the cabin of my 2002 WRX a few days ago and I took my car to the dealer they actually found the leak, unfortunately they have tried several things and have not been able to fix this problem. IMO -a fuel line leak in the engine compartment can be very very dangerous - and some of you guys may have the same problem. I would not take any chances with a problem of this nature - Please take your car to your dealer and have them fix the problem immediately....

i don't know, i smell a little bit of fuel during cold starts. goes away in a minute or two though. i think its just a function of the car going through a cold start cycle.

i'm due for a service, so i'll check it out then, but i don't think there's a big issue.

dR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.