'03 wrx stock battery reading low on fluids

This is a discussion on '03 wrx stock battery reading low on fluids within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was checking out my battery today and I found that the fluid level is at the low line on ...

'03 wrx stock battery reading low on fluids

I was checking out my battery today and I found that the fluid level is at the low line on the battery. I also noticed that when I took the battery out, there was a little fluid on the plastic tray that holds the battery. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take some Baking Soda and sprinkle it on the top of the battery and down where it was moist on the tray.......

If it bubbles the battery is leaking somehow (Should not be though unless it overcharged and pushed the acid through the vent's)

Check your warranty if it is, And even if it isnt covered I would take it to a shop to make SURE it isn't overflowing/leaking, Acid eat's metal

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

Quote Originally Posted by prspect06
    I was checking out my battery today and I found that the fluid level is at the low line on the battery. I also noticed that when I took the battery out, there was a little fluid on the plastic tray that holds the battery. Any suggestions?
    your battery is a liquid cell?? thats so weird. i didnt think taht cars were still getting those. huh. i learned something i guess.
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2point5ohyes
    your battery is a liquid cell?? thats so weird. i didnt think taht cars were still getting those. huh. i learned something i guess.

your car doesn't have a liquid cell battery? I thought that was standard for all SOA cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by prspect06
    Clean everything up ASAP and check all the battery cells. Replenish as needed. Next try to figure out whether your voltage is being regulated correctly. Overcharging is one reason why the battery would steam out fluid.

BE CAREFUL and if in doubt, don't do this: Take a voltmeter set to measure DC and check battery voltage across the terminals with the car off, take a reading. Is it 12ish? That's normal. Now, turn the motor on and repeat. Is it above 15ish? That could be an issue with your voltage regulator. Are your lights really bright lately? That's another symptom.

Or, it's just a pesky battery and everything else is OK, you'll have to look and see.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

autozone can do all the necessary testing, right?

I Support ClubWRX
    I know they'll test your battery but don't know if they'll test your charging system.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.