30k mile maintenance
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 30k mile maintenance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm coming up on 30,000 miles on my 03 wrx. I just changed the oil/filter about 1100 miles ago so ...

30k mile maintenance

I'm coming up on 30,000 miles on my 03 wrx. I just changed the oil/filter about 1100 miles ago so i'm not doing that, but there were a couple things i did plan on doing.

1) Flush Coolant
    2) Change Fuel Filter
    3) Change Air Filter
    4) ?? Spark Plugs??
    5) Brake Fluid Replace
    6) Rotate Tires

Any comments on what i should/shouldn't do would be appreciated.
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Read the Maintenance Guide.

It's documented there.

Jim.

k thnx,
    next
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subieracer18
    I'm coming up on 30,000 miles on my 03 wrx. I just changed the oil/filter about 1100 miles ago so i'm not doing that, but there were a couple things i did plan on doing.

1) Flush Coolant
    2) Change Fuel Filter
    3) Change Air Filter
    4) ?? Spark Plugs??
    5) Brake Fluid Replace
    6) Rotate Tires

1.) always a good idea around this time or up to 50k
    2.) i dont see the point if u dont have any issues
    3.) i do this every other oil change
    4.) check them to see if they have any black or brown residue (brown=oil, black=contact is burning)
    5.) bleeding brakes isnt a must at 30k, but if u really need to i guess
    6.) good idea if u have different sets of tires winter/summer

I Support ClubWRX
    Always check the forum stickies:

Service Manual excerpt: Periodic Maintenance
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderpaint2004
    6.) good idea if u have different sets of tires winter/summer
    Not in Savannah! Well, maybe it still is, but I don't think they really have anything there that a guy from Mass. would call winter! LOL
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    Not in Savannah! Well, maybe it still is, but I don't think they really have anything there that a guy from Mass. would call winter! LOL
    shoulda looked at his location.....

MY BAD

hello mr. eye roller,
    i say this in the most non-confrontational way possible, but always spend a few minutes searching for info before starting a new thread about it... the info you are looking for is already out there...

but since you did post, my reply would be that you are on the right track here... spark plugs are optional but not really necessary until 60k. tranny and rear diff fluids are also optional, but not a bad idea to switch. search for redline, amsoil, royal purple and mobil fluids concerning that to make your decision on what you want to use.

bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Quote Originally Posted by subieracer18

1) Flush Coolant
    2) Change Fuel Filter
    3) Change Air Filter
    4) ?? Spark Plugs??
    5) Brake Fluid Replace
    6) Rotate Tires

not a bad idea to clean the backing plates/shims of the brake pads and make sure the sliders slide. also, change the pcv valve (it sucks) and even though they say spark plugs are 60k, i changed them anyway. there was a definite improvement in running quality/smoothness (but i'm anal). if the brake fluid is nice and clear, you can wait on that. toyota for instance doesn't recommend brake fluid changed EVER (i think thats crap) but the old 30k interval might not be needed in most cases.

also change the trans fluid and diff fluids. i use redline mt-90 in the trans and redline 75w90 in the diff. check www.cobbtuning.com for a nice write up in hte tech section regarding trans fluid differences
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I have to disagree with you on the brake fluid. It deteriorates more dramatically over time than any other fluid in the car. Plus it's more of a time thing than a mileage thing. THe fluid soaks up water through the lines. It depends on the particular fluid, but definitely at LEAST every 2 years. If you go for a high-performance fluid, this can become quite variable depending on which fluid you should use. Motul 600 should be changed every 6 months, AP every month or two (not kidding, that's why it's not for street use - the official interval is "before every race"). ATE you can probably get away with 3 years.

Does Toyota use Dot 5 these days? 'Cause with a Toy 20 years and 300k miles is not unrealistic - if you don't change fluid in that time, you won't have any brakes! Even with Dot 5, though it does last WAY longer.

C

1993 Honda CBR600F2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.