K&N oil filter

This is a discussion on K&N oil filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When doing an oil change recently, I put some Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic in along with a K&N oil filter, ...

K&N oil filter

When doing an oil change recently, I put some Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic in along with a K&N oil filter, which appears to be superior to the stock filters. The part number I used was HP-1004 (used for WRXs). I just read that HP-1008 is actually what I needed to use. However, this filter is incredibly small, maybe suitable for a motorcycle not a 2.5L turbo car. Can anyone tell me why such a small filter is the one I should use instead of the WRX one which fits perfectly?
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well first off here is a link you might like regarding oil filters

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

he doesn't have any k&n information yet, but i recall another similar site saying they were middle of the road. personally i use the oem subaru or a purolator pure one
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla
    personally i use the oem subaru or a purolator pure one
    That's exactly what I use

I Support ClubWRX
    Either the K&N HP1004 or HP1008 should do nicely. The HP1004s are a little bigger. I'm using the HP1008 with Mobil 1 5W30. The hex widget welded to the top of the K&N is a nice feature.

WRX Oil Filter Part #'s

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWRX
    When doing an oil change recently, I put some Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic in along with a K&N oil filter, which appears to be superior to the stock filters. The part number I used was HP-1004 (used for WRXs). I just read that HP-1008 is actually what I needed to use. However, this filter is incredibly small, maybe suitable for a motorcycle not a 2.5L turbo car. Can anyone tell me why such a small filter is the one I should use instead of the WRX one which fits perfectly?

I have used the hp-1004 for about 2500 miles and my oil is still a nice golden brown, and i havn't had any problems.

ive been using FRAM tough guard since the first oil change... and come to think of it, my oil has been pretty dark. Luckily i change it every 3k miles or 3-6 months. I think im gonna give the other brands a shot.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo