Why is Subaru maintenance soooo expensive?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why is Subaru maintenance soooo expensive? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just made the 7,500 service this past Friday (minor service) and my total came out to be almost 0! ...

Unhappy Why is Subaru maintenance soooo expensive?

I just made the 7,500 service this past Friday (minor service) and my total came out to be almost $100! Why is Subaru service sooo expensive? I used to have a 2003 Acura TL-S and my services where NEVER that high, except for the time I had my brakes changed... but it was always in the range of $50 or less.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, it's absolutely nuts and another reason I do all my own maintenance.

seriously i paid $130 to hav my r.diff and tranny fluid changed and i even provided redline fluid!!! if i new it wouldve cost that much i wouldve done it myself. dont ask how much it costs to change spark plugs. my local dealership told me it would be $180 just to change the plugs. it seriously took me less then an hour to change the plugs myself. find your self a wrx service manual online and download it

I Support ClubWRX
    Do your own maintenance or if you want to pay someone, make sure it's a good local mechanic. You'll save lots of money. Most of the maintenance checklist things are stupid items like "check battery".
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Most of the maintenance checklist things are stupid items like "check battery".
    I saved a ton of money on that. I opened the hood, and noticed it was still there.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't want to do it yourself you can still save money by finding a good independent mechanic and getting away from the stealership.

[rant]I always see people say "I take it to the stealership because I'm afraid an independent mechanic will rip me off". Independents don't stay in business by ripping people off, but sure, there are always dishonest people out there. So there is some chance that an independent will try to rip you off. But the rub is this: there's a 100% chance the stealership will try to rip you off! Sure, some places are cool and will do individual jobs for a fair price, but their "X Mile Serive" packages are ALWAYS way over priced for what they do. And I've seen several cases of stealerships charging inflated prices then not even doing what they say they will! [/rant]

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake
    dont ask how much it costs to change spark plugs. my local dealership told me it would be $180 just to change the plugs.
    My dealer quoted me $89.99 (their standard price) but told me I'd have to pay an extra $4.95 per plug because they were "premium" plugs. They charge me $30 for a regular (7500 interval) service, but I bring my own oil.

We took my wife's jetta vr6 to the dealer on monday to get the spark plugs changed and they wanted 259 dollars to do it. The parts alone, just the plugs they wanted 107 dollars for. Thats like 17 bucks a plug! I asked if they were made in gold and the woman just looked at me like I was crazy. I told her that price is crazy and I will find the time to change them myself. -scott

I brought my car to a local garage across the street from my office when I was going out of town for a couple of days. I had about 8000 miles on the car so I was a little overdue on the 7500 service. I brought my own 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 for them to use. The oil change was $20, the tire rotation was $15, and the Mobil 1 cost me $20, so that was $55 total. Not bad considering I didn't have to get down on my freezing cold snowy and sandy driveway to do any of the work.

One thing that I find interesting is that not a single local dealership has sent me any literature trying to get my business on servicing my car. Not even the dealership I bought the car from (about 40 miles north of me) has contacted me since the sale in October.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Pffft.. that's nothing. The dealership charged me $770 for the 30k mile service. Needless to say, my car will never see a dealership again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I saved a ton of money on that. I opened the hood, and noticed it was still there.

they where chargeing me $300 to change my injectors on my wrx from 500 to the stock and they called my brother and he walked them through it, ****ers hahaha, after that i got out for free
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    I went in yesterday to have them fix the lock on my trunk, and the service lady goes to me, would you like the 6,000 mile service? I was like wtf? Shes like yeh we change your oil and rotate your tires for $130. I think every thousand mile interval they have something new. I do need an alignment though, I hope they dont charge me and arm and a leg? Anyone know how much it costs?
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle lewie wrx
    I went in yesterday to have them fix the lock on my trunk, and the service lady goes to me, would you like the 6,000 mile service? I was like wtf? Shes like yeh we change your oil and rotate your tires for $130. I think every thousand mile interval they have something new. I do need an alignment though, I hope they dont charge me and arm and a leg? Anyone know how much it costs?
    Uncle Lewie
    $ 69.99 at my stealership.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Sweet, 70 isnt terrible, I thought it was going to be over a 100 and then would be sad. But I need it cause of new springs.
    Thanks for the Info!
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

My local mech did my 90k service for $250 i dont think that is too much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast