How often do you clean your K&N air filter?

This is a discussion on How often do you clean your K&N air filter? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; K&N recommends a cleaning interval as long as 50K miles that seems a bit too long. Any advice on ...

I Support ClubWRX

How often do you clean your K&N air filter?

K&N recommends a cleaning interval as long as 50K miles that seems a bit too long. Any advice on cleaning and oiling the instructions do not mention?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    50k is a bit long. But you don't want to do it too often. They actually filter a bit better when dirty but don't lose much flow. I'd say every 10 - 15k
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I agree with GV. You should check you filter every oil change, if you have been driving in severely dusty conditions you could choke it in just 1 - 2000 miles. Every 10k sounds about right to me, but check it often to be sure. K&N filters are cotton, if dirt creates a hole in the filter due to lack of maintence, then it basically wont work and will allow dust and dirt into your intake....

just my 2 pennys

Mike

I noticed a significant (but not a lot) amount of dirt after 8K. I cleaned my filter and lightly oiled it anyway. I'll wait another 10K before doing it again. Always a good idea to check it once in awhile though.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.