had to add a qt of oil, did i hurt my car?

This is a discussion on had to add a qt of oil, did i hurt my car? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have about 18,000 miles and I finally got around to checking the oil since my last oil change (15k, ...

had to add a qt of oil, did i hurt my car?

I have about 18,000 miles and I finally got around to checking the oil since my last oil change (15k, and yes I know i shouldn't wait this long)), and I had to add a qt of synthetic to bring it back up to full. what damage did I do? also, why is it eating oil up like this? is it the synthetic (never used it before)

thanks!
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

my car does it also.

it was most likely at the minimum level and it usually takes a quart to bring it back up to max
    i don't think it caused any damage to your car. The oil level is recommended to keep at max in so the oil pump dosn't have to suck up air when during hard cornering, rapid acceleration and braking
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

if u check ure car when its cold and its at the min. line, check it after it heats up and it will be at the max line. the molecules expand when the oil heats up. for example, subaru says to put 4.6 quarts of oil in it. if u do and check the oil level right away it will be right under min. but after it heats up it will be at max. also, i heard u shouldn't use synthetic until 40,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKloudGDC
    if u check ure car when its cold and its at the min. line, check it after it heats up and it will be at the max line. the molecules expand when the oil heats up. for example, subaru says to put 4.6 quarts of oil in it. if u do and check the oil level right away it will be right under min. but after it heats up it will be at max. also, i heard u shouldn't use synthetic until 40,000 miles.

i don't know but when i put my oil in after change it is around MAX or a bit above,
    also i was always taught to check the oli when the car cools a bit down so the oil has time to drain back to the pan from the crank and the rest of the engine
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

on a tech point of view 1 qourt of oil is bit to much .are you driving your car hard for the past months after your oil change ?.you got a turbo charge car witch being cooled
    by youre oil , and check your right valve cover gasket for oil sippage wrx intend to
    leak oil on that side
    I am the mark,the spot, that bleed in your dream cuz i blew your car away for I am stigmata ............

i put synthetic in my car at 6500 miles... where did you hear 40,000???
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

Yeah the most I have heard people waiting is 10,000. I waited until the second oil change but if you have a turboed or sc car synthetic is the way to go
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

one of my friends has a gsx and he said not to put synthetic in until 40000. maybe he was wrong.

your friend is BSing you. It is actually not recommended to put synthetic into onder engines as the synthetic removes the residue and debris buildup that sort of "seals up" the spots that may cause decompression or higher oil consumption when cleand up
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY