Oil Consumption and Power Curve Flat Spot

This is a discussion on Oil Consumption and Power Curve Flat Spot within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just recently, my 04 WRX (8,000 miles) has started to use oil to varying degrees. Some weeks there is no ...

Oil Consumption and Power Curve Flat Spot

Just recently, my 04 WRX (8,000 miles) has started to use oil to varying degrees. Some weeks there is no change on the dipstick, other weeks I need to add a few ounces.There appeared to be no rhyme or reason to the variations. Then last week the thing went from the top notch to the bottom on the dipstick after a 60 mile drive . Since then, no change.

The only thing I can think of that was different about the 60 mile drive was about 5 - 10 miles of full throttle driving. At the same time, I noticed that the power output from the engine went flat at 5000 - 5500 revs in third gear .

The combination of the two issues makes me tend to think a turbo seal is leaking, but I have seen no evidence of blue smoke from the tail pipe ( not too easy at that speed anyway).

I would appreciate your thoughts and any ideas on how to track down the culprit?

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you cats are working well you may not see any smoke at all, check the intercooler and intake for oil mist, usually if a turbo seal goes it will spill some oil into the intake. with only 8K miles on it it should still be covered by the dealer as well... I would take it to them before monkeying with it too much