Question about A/C usage in the winter time
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about A/C usage in the winter time within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've noticed recently in my 2002 WRX that when I press the A/C button, the compressor sometimes does not come ...

Question about A/C usage in the winter time

I've noticed recently in my 2002 WRX that when I press the A/C button, the compressor sometimes does not come on at all. Other times it comes on, but only for about 10 seconds, then shuts off. I thought this was an issue so I took it to a shop this morning. They just called saying this is normal operation and that the compressor shuts off when it hits its intended pressure. I appreciate them not ripping me off and making unnecessary repairs, but it seems that something is wrong if the compressor doesn't even kick on at all sometimes. I remember in past winters using A/C on "hot" quite a bit to help de-fog the interior windows, so they don't steam up. This doesn't seem right that I can't have the A/C running now. Thoughts?
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was told this is normal too, but out of all the cars that i have seen. used and owend my self i think this is kinda funny too. Same with a friend of mine thats a cert HVAC person.

Any insight would be great...
    Will #1
    LISC #2

If you turn the direction to "screen" (either screen alone or screen+feet) then the AC will be on even without the button pushed.

BTW, I have seen this before with my VW. As you raised the temp, the AC would eventually turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    If you turn the direction to "screen" (either screen alone or screen+feet) then the AC will be on even without the button pushed.

BTW, I have seen this before with my VW. As you raised the temp, the AC would eventually turn off.
    Thanks. I realize this though. If I turn the knob to windshield, it does the same thing as if I push the A/C button...which is nothing most of the time.

-12.01@113

All cars now a days turn the AC on automaticly when you use your defrosters, because it defrosts better when there is no humidity in the air. But what bugs me is the lack of AC compresor usage that bothers me. It shuts off way to fast, or does not turn on at all. Even if you manualy enable the AC itself.
    Will #1
    LISC #2

Exactly!

-12.01@113

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.