75 versus 90 amp alternator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 75 versus 90 amp alternator within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; does anyone know if the Sti Alternator (90 amp) will bolt right up to the WRX?...

75 versus 90 amp alternator

does anyone know if the Sti Alternator (90 amp) will bolt right up to the WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I could be wrong, but I believe all the mounting and plugs are identical, I think the only difference is the amperage. I have no concrete proof, so technically, I am worthless to this thread

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's a good question...I wonder if the extra amps would benefit those of us with various interior electronics
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I Support ClubWRX
    I just looked it up in my Hollander interchange. It states the difference is the amperage.

Hmm, if my alternator ever craps out I might consider the STi alt. Sometimes I'm sure I see my headlights dim when I press the brakes as if the extra draw from the brake lights creates the dimming, heh. The only extra electronic device in the car is the XEDE and a security system!
    2003 WRX 5MT sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    That's a good question...I wonder if the extra amps would benefit those of us with various interior electronics
    would definately help.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Is it normal for the cars headlights to dim at idle and then when the revs raise the headlights brighten up? I used to think it was becuse my passenger side fog light was going out and then when it finally blew the dimming went away. Now after a couple weeks of driving with the fog lights off(havent replaced it yet and dont want only one fog light on) the dimming seems to have returned. Any thoughts?
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Quote Originally Posted by djoye
    Sometimes I'm sure I see my headlights dim when I press the brakes as if the extra draw from the brake lights creates the dimming, heh.
    I've noticed that when I have my heater set to windshield defog and the rear defroster is on, the headlights are always getting dimmer and brighter. It does it even while I'm driving at a constant speed. Does anyone know if the extra 15A output from the STi alternator would help or is this just something that's gonna happen regardless?
    Gilligan

WRX
    wouldn't the grounding mod help with that too?
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX
    wouldn't the grounding mod help with that too?
    Mine doesn't seem to.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

the headlight dimming and interior lights dimming when other things are being used is precisely why i want to know.

i'm researching some less expensive options for replacement than the subaru unit, and everything i see seems to match up.

i just replaced my battery, and i wanted to be sure that's what the problem is. when i rev up, my morrettes get brighter, especially under load, so i figured it was the alternator.

thanks for all the help guys.

dR

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I just looked it up in my Hollander interchange. It states the difference is the amperage.
    meaning there are no other differences?

subaru part numbers:
    2002 WRX 23700AA430
    s004 STI 23700AA540

subaru doesn't have remanned STi alternators, so it's like $470 the WRX model is $229.

PPR makes a 90 amp WRX rebuilt but i'm getting conflicting part numbers... it's either
    SUB082124 as listed by a reseller
    http://catalog.masterautoparts.com/i...rillid=9&image

or

SUA109 as listed by PPR
    http://www.pprok.com/pweb/c/wcp?v_md...reza)&v_type=A

I've never heard of PPR, so i'm working on getting numbers and prices for Brands like ProPlus, USA, ACDelco, etc. hopefully i'll be able to cross them over.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    subaru part numbers:
    2002 WRX 23700AA430
    s004 STI 23700AA540

subaru doesn't have remanned STi alternators, so it's like $470 the WRX model is $229.

PPR makes a 90 amp WRX rebuilt but i'm getting conflicting part numbers... it's either
    SUB082124 as listed by a reseller
    http://catalog.masterautoparts.com/i...rillid=9&image

or

SUA109 as listed by PPR
    http://www.pprok.com/pweb/c/wcp?v_md...reza)&v_type=A

I've never heard of PPR, so i'm working on getting numbers and prices for Brands like ProPlus, USA, ACDelco, etc. hopefully i'll be able to cross them over.
    I get the feeling the PPR listing is outdated. I'm listing all Impreza alternators the same from 02-05 with the exception of the STI which is higher amperage. Unfortunately, that's all it tells me

i have a number for an aftermarket part. it wasn't easy to find, but it sure beat the gaffe job of buying a dealer part.

odd part is, the amperage isn't listed. i even spoke with the rep from the company, and he's at a loss. my guess is it's 75, but there's a chance that it's 90 so the company won't have to retool 2 alternators with the same bolt pattern on the case.

it arrives friday, and hopefully will end my electrical woes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast