Turbo Trouble
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo Trouble within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got the turboXS high performance boost controller. Either I cant get it set right or something is very ...

Turbo Trouble

I just got the turboXS high performance boost controller. Either I cant get it set right or something is very wrong. Whenever i go to test the turbo boost it will go up to an apex(lets say 1.2 bar but it changes depending on the setting) and then seems to bounce off and go way downwards (to like .7 or .8). Did i do something wrong on my install or am i pushing too much boost. I now have it so first gear doesnt go as high as 1.1, so its about 15psi, is that still too much. Im worried about running lean, which means big engine trouble. Please help! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Turbo Trouble

Originally posted by N8DOGG
    I just got the turboXS high performance boost controller. Either I cant get it set right or something is very wrong. Whenever i go to test the turbo boost it will go up to an apex(lets say 1.2 bar but it changes depending on the setting) and then seems to bounce off and go way downwards (to like .7 or .8). Did i do something wrong on my install or am i pushing too much boost. I now have it so first gear doesnt go as high as 1.1, so its about 15psi, is that still too much. Im worried about running lean, which means big engine trouble. Please help! Thanks
    First of all. Go check out this website. You have your calcualtions incorrect. Use the pressure calculator for your calculations.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Secondly, 1.2 bar is 17.4psi, and 1.1 bar is 16psi, not 15.

I think the reason why it is building and then bouncing off is you are hitting fuel cut with the 1.2 bar setting. Fuel cut for the WRX is somewhere around 17psi. You have to be very careful, and by using the link above you can figure out psi to bar conversions. Bookmark it. IT MAY SAVE YOUR ENGINE.

Also, set your boost at either 3rd or 4th gear. These gears have much more load by the way of their gearing and the boost should be set accordingly. I set mine at WOT in 3rd gear.

I would only go up to 15.5psi because MBC's are known for spiking, especially in higher gears, and sometimes over 1psi at times. And you don't want your MBC to spike over 17psi, or you will actuate the fuel cut.

FYI. 1.03 bar is 14.94psi and 1.04bar is 15.08 psi.

BE CAREFUL.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 09-10-2002 at 10:34 PM.

Exclamation Maybe I installed it wrong...

does anyone have a picture of the install??? Id feel really stupid if i did install it wrong. I just put the boost all the way closed and the psi still goes up to 1. Im guessing i installed it wrong. I think i have the gold spring valve hosed up to the BOV...I think. it is horizontal and to the left as you look at it from the front. Is this backwards?

come on guys please help me out, i just set it at lowest boost and it still goes up past 1, and i really dont think i have it installed wrong, please help me out

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you accidentally put the bottom hose onto the throttle cable bar? I did that on accident when I installed my MBC and I couldn't get it to boost LIGHTLY until I found my problem. I re-installed the hose onto the vaccuum port on the turbo and my MBC worked fine. That is all I can think of bro.

Okay. One side of the MBC goes to the back of the turbo. The other goes to the wastegate which is also near the turbo. I will look for a picture. In the meantime be careful.

NOTE: YOU SHOULD NEVER RUN YOUR TURBO WITH THE VACCUUM HOSE UN-INSTALLED FOR IT WILL OVERBOOST YOUR MOTOR IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a pic that could help a bit. This picture shows the two places your MBC should hook up to. One is the back of the turbo. The second is the copper circle looking thing which is the wastegate actuator. If you hook up the 2 hoses onto your MBC and the adjuster doesn't work. You know you installed the hoses wrong. Switch the hoses and re-install.

Good luck.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails incar2.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.