Check engine light
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Check engine light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey gang- Started up THEO this morning and the check engine light came on and stayed on . Everything seems ...

Check engine light

Hey gang-

Started up THEO this morning and the check engine light came on and stayed on . Everything seems to be running cherry... accelleration, rpm, shifting, engine noise- all normal.

From what I can find this is a programmed thing that Subaru does to insure that you service your vehicle. I have 50,500 miles 26,000 of which I have driven, I seldom redline but am a spirited driver. We have had our oil changed on time or within a 1000 mile window. The dealer keeps pestering us about the 40,000 mile checkup that we still haven't had (due to $ being tight). Last time we went in they recommended a differntial oil change. Yes I have read the thread about autozone being able to shut off the light. I just don't know if it is something serious if I would like it to be bypassed.

I don't have the time/ means to do all this myself. And I definately can't afford to pay the dealership the astronomical prices of services. But what are your suggestions of what to do and what not to do??? I am open to ideas.
    JGT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by THEOwrxwagon
    Hey gang-
    From what I can find this is a programmed thing that Subaru does to insure that you service your vehicle.
    Not to my knowledge. Go to an auto parts store that offers free code readings and get the code pulled; that will tell you the fault. Go from there.

The dealer keeps pestering us about the 40,000 mile checkup that we still haven't had (due to $ being tight). Last time we went in they recommended a differntial oil change.
    Recommendations are secondary. What matters is the service schedule listed in the manual. Follow that religiously. No more is needed, but no less should be done.

Yes I have read the thread about autozone being able to shut off the light. I just don't know if it is something serious if I would like it to be bypassed.
    It's not a matter of shutting off the light. The light is reporting a fault. What Autozone may be able to do is tell you the code number, and you can then search here using that number for an interpretation.

I don't have the time/ means to do all this myself. And I definately can't afford to pay the dealership the astronomical prices of services. But what are your suggestions of what to do and what not to do??? I am open to ideas.
    Fix the fault and ensure the car is up to date according to the service schedule in the manual.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you for taking the time to address my issues. I have every intention of being more educated about my car and how it works, so every little bit helps. I will do exactly what you suggested and go from there. It is consoling to know that I am not alone out here and that I can count on clubwrx to help me out when in need.

Thanks a ton and enjoy driving!

James
    JGT

I Support ClubWRX
    OK great. When you get the error code from the check engine light, if you don't know what it means, post it here and someone will be able to tell you where to go from there.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So now that I was ready to go through the whole process of getting things checked out, the Check engine light is now off. It was on for only like 36 hours. Would it still have a code to pull as far as that goes?
    JGT

for future reference the CEL codes are all listed here Maintenance, Service FAQ & Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

I Support ClubWRX
    If the fault is not detected after x restarts, the lamp will not go on.

Incidentally, you didn't happen to refill the gas tank before the light went off, did you? Something as simple as a loose gas cap - an emissions control failure! - will get you a light on.

You may still be able to yank the code, I don't know. For the time being, catch up on any maintenance listed in the manual that needs to be done and keep your fingers crossed IMO.

i just got a check engine light last night... after i drove through a big puddle, but the car still runs fine.. i have an mbc set at 14.5 psi and nothing else... i drove it around... floored it, everything ran fine except the check engine light... did u guys say autozone can pull codes from cel... or is this any auto store? mbc wouldnt have anything 2 do with it would it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Call the Autozones in your area and ask, it should be free to pull the code. Then look online (search) for the explanation of whaterver code you get. If all else fails post the code and ask for opinions.

ok the check engine light went away... im guessing it was cuzz of the water spalshing onto a sensor maybe? or am i just totally off... well the the light is off and im happy now... jeez with my mbc on i raced my friends celica GTS on a 1st gear roll up to middle of 3rd and wow i took him bye 3 car lengths mbc is bootiful

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.