where to jackup the car from rear and front?

This is a discussion on where to jackup the car from rear and front? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i want to use a jack stand and work under my car, but i can't find where to jackup the ...

where to jackup the car from rear and front?

i want to use a jack stand and work under my car, but i can't find where to jackup the car from rear and front. i can't do the side because there's no room to transfer the jack stand from the jack.

anyone knows? and have a pic to show me?

thanks,

ray
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    The answer is in your owner's manual. Front jack plate behind the oil pan for the front and the rear diff for the rear. Use a block of wood between the car and the jack.

Calvin

i checked the manual. but it only tells me how to jack it up on the sides which is no use for my case.

i searched at the net and someone said "crossmember", but i can't find that thing under my car.

anyways, i managed to use my spare tire to do one wheel at a time.

ray

Quote Originally Posted by cnk
    The answer is in your owner's manual. Front jack plate behind the oil pan for the front and the rear diff for the rear. Use a block of wood between the car and the jack.

Calvin
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

front plate is ~6in or so behind the oil pan and the rear diff is well . . uh the rear diff. Make sure you have a decent jack, none of those 14' lift things those scare the hell out of me.

Also if you're going to be under it, jackstands then lay your tires sideways under the edges of hte car as another safety measure.

I Support ClubWRX
    I will not use a peice of wood to jack/hold anything up again. I saw a car with this method and guess what......3200 lbs on old wood ment it split it like an axe. And of course when the wood split it shifted weight and the jack stand fell. Lucky no one was under it and the car was fine.....just something to think about next time you grab that peice of wood.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

cnk
    The point is to not use a piece of wood old and thick enough to splinter like that. I usually just use a piece of plywood and it's been fine. The service manuals even recommend using some wood to cushion between the jack and car. You shouldn't have to use something like a 2"x4". . .that would be too big and open you up to for the potential of accidents like the one you mentioned.

Calvin

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Why can't you use the sides? I just jack it up as far as it will go, then slide the jack stand in behind where the jack is and let the car down on it. Never had a problem doing it this way.