clutch shudder, who has it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on clutch shudder, who has it within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im just curious as to how many people have/do experienced the clutch shudder problems. I'm especially interested in 2003 wrx's. ...

clutch shudder, who has it

im just curious as to how many people have/do experienced the clutch shudder problems. I'm especially interested in 2003 wrx's.

i thought this was a pretty iscolated thing, but after car's post about his problem it seemed to me like many others are experienceing this.
    Last edited by SobeWRX; 09-09-2002 at 10:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've had it since day one.

-jim

i developed it after about 1400 miles and figured it might have had something to do with mods/clutch being broken in.

I Support ClubWRX
    I do on my 2002 wagon. It's a very common "problem" if that's what you want to call it. I just slip the clutch a touch more the first 2 or 3 starts in the morning and that eliminates it and gets heat into the clutch quickly. Personally I wouldn't call it a problem but rather a characteristic. Every machine behaves a bit differently, and must be operated in accordance with the machine's particular behavior.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    I do on my 2002 wagon. It's a very common "problem" if that's what you want to call it. I just slip the clutch a touch more the first 2 or 3 starts in the morning and that eliminates it and gets heat into the clutch quickly. Personally I wouldn't call it a problem but rather a characteristic. Every machine behaves a bit differently, and must be operated in accordance with the machine's particular behavior.

C
    This is exactly what I have in my 2002 sedan.

Originally posted by GV27

C
    that is my feelings exactly, i was just curious as to how wide spread this is...thanks for all of your input.

Yeah my 2002 does it for a few minutes, but goes away once it warms up. The the best feeling but I think its normal and subaru probably knows about it too.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Re: clutch shudder, who has it

Originally posted by SobeWRX
    im just curious as to how many people have/do experienced the clutch shudder problems. I'm especially interested in 2003 wrx's.

i thought this was a pretty iscolated thing, but after car's post about his problem it seemed to me like many others are experienceing this.
    Yeah, I would have thought so too. I'm trying to recall from that thread we had going where a new guy asked what we didn't like about the WRX. People listed a number of things, but if I recollect correctly, shuddering clutch wasn't even on the radar screen.

My 2002 does it a little, but not nearly to the point where I would consider it a problem. 'Course, I've gotten used to the balky reverse thing to the point where it's no problem at all now - but other people are irritated by it.

I agree with the other posts. For most of us, this is a lot more of a quirk than a show-stopper. car may be happier with a more expensive and refined machine.
    Old, but not slow.

My car developed it after an especially nasty clutch clip launch down the 1/4 mile... It tends to lessen the more I drive it after a trip to the dragstrip. Maybe I'm artificially piling on the miles with my drag launches? :-)

P.S. It's not enough to cause any lessening of the driving enjoyment of my vehicle... Wow, did that sounds like Engrish or what?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Originally posted by is2scooby
    My car developed it after an especially nasty clutch clip launch down the 1/4 mile... It tends to lessen the more I drive it after a trip to the dragstrip. Maybe I'm artificially piling on the miles with my drag launches? :-)
    Sounds like you glazed you clutch launching....

Yes i have the shudder problem too... Every morning (every time the motor/clutch are cold) 2-4 starts in first gear are bumpy, then its usualy warmed up, if i slip it alittle more than usual it will heat up faster. I'm just kinda dealing with it, but I recently moved and i might try out my new closest dealer to see what kind of service i get.

-T
    '02 Sedan Black (MT)

i had the shudder, and it all went away when i got the clutch replaced for the decel noise.

no more shudder. that was one of the symptoms of the deffective clutch btw.

dR

Sweet so im not the only with this problem either!! Also my 1st and 2nd gear while decelerating my car also makes a nasty grinding noises is that normal too??.......Oh yeah one more thing how soft is yur clutch pedal?? Mines really easy but my two of my friends wrxs pedals are real stiff???
    02 Blue WRX Sedan<---Gone but not Forgotten!!!!
    05 WR Blue WRX Sti <---- coming soon

Originally posted by BlueScooby
    Sweet so im not the only with this problem either!! Also my 1st and 2nd gear while decelerating my car also makes a nasty grinding noises is that normal too??.......Oh yeah one more thing how soft is yur clutch pedal?? Mines really easy but my two of my friends wrxs pedals are real stiff???
    Subaru changed clutch designs half way through year one. I have a very stiff clutch pedal since mine was made during the first six months. Newer WRX have a much lighter pedal feel.

BTW, if your tranny is making any unusual noises, take it to the dealer ASAP.

-Jim

Well i took my car to the dealership and i guess it was my clutch. Subaru is replacing mine right now, I'll update yall on the shudder when i get it back Friday!
    02 Blue WRX Sedan<---Gone but not Forgotten!!!!
    05 WR Blue WRX Sti <---- coming soon

So my car has it, and I don’t like it. Called my dealer (Subaru) and they claim it to be normal. Not the NORMAL I support. They said that it is primarily an issue with the WRX, not really an issue with other models. I ask you (the illustrious members of the board) does a $45,000 Audi do this, no. Does a $9000 Kia do this, I bet not. Is this a problem that gets worse over time? Who knows? If we accept it as a quirk now and say at 60,001 miles, it does it all the time, then what? The dealer says there is no fix, but drop it off and they will check it out. I don’t see the point in that. Folks at Sccobynet suggest some hard a$$ launches will cure it, and it is fun to do as well. Maybe on the way home I can abuse it a bit. The call it judder over there. A few geezers have had a P1 (?) clutch installed under warrantee. I can put up with a lot when it comes to cars; heck I drove Fords for years. I just wonder if this is something I really want to “put up with” for the next 80,000 miles…proly so.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast