Oil Filter question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Filter question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok this may sound dumb but i've never had to or thought of doing this so thats why i don't ...

Oil Filter question

Ok this may sound dumb but i've never had to or thought of doing this so thats why i don't know. If you remove the oil filter will alllllllllll the oil come out or will just a bit come out??? does anyone know
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just a little bit. The filter is located downstream of the oil pump so you wont be able to gte any oil out of the pan unless the oil pump is spinning.

Alin

Originally posted by ProdriveMS
    Just a little bit. The filter is located downstream of the oil pump so you wont be able to gte any oil out of the pan unless the oil pump is spinning.

Alin
    ok so let's say i have about 4 1/2 quarts in there of new oil and i change the oil filter next week...will all that oil spill out or will just a little........?????????
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

SpeedRacer. Shame on you, man. Change your filter with the oil change. C'mon, it isnt' that tough.

Go get a strap and take it off. Not much clearance in there, I admit. But try one of those straps which have the 3/8" ratchet drive attached to it, get your ratchet, torque it until the strap goes tight and just twist that baby off. It's cake.
    Old, but not slow.

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    SpeedRacer. Shame on you, man. Change your filter with the oil change. C'mon, it isnt' that tough.

Go get a strap and take it off. Not much clearance in there, I admit. But try one of those straps which have the 3/8" ratchet drive attached to it, get your ratchet, torque it until the strap goes tight and just twist that baby off. It's cake.
    i know i know i'm ashamed i must have changed oil in so many cars so many times... but i can't untighten that goshdarn stock filter so i left that damn thing on.....i tried with my hands to no avail, i put one of those yellow housework gloves with grips on it to no avail, i went to the local hardware store and bought one of those strapwrenches, no room to no avail, then darkness fell and i left it on and put in the amsoil and called it a day......in the daylight i'll fight with that damn thing again
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Well, good luck with it, Speedracer. You're right, sometimes when you hit a stone wall, better to sleep on it and tackle it fresh. GV27 had a good suggestion on the other thread with the big channel locks. I'd say remove the undertray if you need to, it'll give you more room to work.
    Old, but not slow.

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    Well, good luck with it, Speedracer. You're right, sometimes when you hit a stone wall, better to sleep on it and tackle it fresh. GV27 had a good suggestion on the other thread with the big channel locks. I'd say remove the undertray if you need to, it'll give you more room to work.
    ya i'll get it tomorrow.....i have those vinyl/rubber adjustable wrench things....so i'll slap those around.....if they don't work then BACK TO THE STORE they go.....
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Jack the front passanger side up, you can get under the car, get a better grip of that foker and get it off. I did.

Originally posted by Kdcass
    Jack the front passanger side up, you can get under and get a good grip of that foker with and get it off. I did.
    you must be hercules..that thing is on there holy crapper
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Nahh im average build. Big hands i suppose.

It was IMPOSSIBLE unitl I Jacked it up enough to get literally under the filter.

My second oil change was eaiser.

Originally posted by Kdcass
    Nahh im average build. Big hands i suppose.

It was IMPOSSIBLE unitl I Jacked it up enough to get literally under the filter.

My second oil change was eaiser.
    ya especially since it will be hand tight not gorilla tight
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02

ok so let's say i have about 4 1/2 quarts in there of new oil and i change the oil filter next week...will all that oil spill out or will just a little........?????????
    Like I said in the previous post, only a little will leak out. The reason is that the filter is down stream of the oil pump so the pump would have to be running in order to drain all 4.5 qts from your crankcase. So unless you change your filter with the engine running, you will be fine.

If you want to prevent any oil filter issues in the future, use this tool:
    http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_de...re&dir=catalog

Using the proper tool always makes you job much easier. This is what we use on the rally car filters as well.

Alin
    Last edited by ProdriveMS; 09-08-2002 at 12:43 PM.

Originally posted by ProdriveMS

Like I said in the previous post, only a little will leak out. The reason is that the filter is down stream of the oil pump so the pump would have to be running in order to drain all 4.5 qts from your crankcase. So unless you change your filter with the engine running, you will be fine.

If you want to prevent any oil filter issues in the future, use this tool:
    http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_de...re&dir=catalog

Using the proper tool always makes you job much easier. This is what we use on the rally car filters as well.

Alin
    as i stated in another thread that once it's off then it's hand tight and then since it's my hand i will be able to loosen it...much like the oil plug
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

a quick tip

In a pinch you can just slam a screwdriver through the side of the filter for some leverage. Unless of course you plan on using your filter again.

Rule of the thumb with oil filters:

1.) Hand tighthening
    2.) Tool loosening

The best tool I've seen, besides the "GRIP" like in the commercials you see on tv, is a 3 prong filter remover. This thing has gears to remove any sized filter even the small Miata filters. It only works by loosenening and it will NOT turn to tighthen at all. You use a socket wrench and you basically keep cranking until it either breaks the filter or it loosens it. Autozone and NAPA sells them for like $4.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast