is it me or?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on is it me or? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; is the stock oil filter the toughest freaking thing to unscrew!! holy crap that car is kicking my ass right ...

is it me or?

is the stock oil filter the toughest freaking thing to unscrew!! holy crap that car is kicking my ass right now
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, apparently they use enraged gorillas on steroids to torque the oil filter on. Good luck, pray that you don't have to do the old screwdriver trick, it makes a hell of a mess.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

Originally posted by supermarkus
    Yeah, apparently they use enraged gorillas on steroids to torque the oil filter on. Good luck, pray that you don't have to do the old screwdriver trick, it makes a hell of a mess.
    explain
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Punching a long screwdriver all the way through the oil filter and using that to loosen it. Lots o' torque, nasty mess. Had to use it on my Heep and the filter was on the side of the block! Hateful design.

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Trans Am is on blocks

Punching a long screwdriver all the way through the oil filter and using that to loosen it. Lots o' torque, nasty mess. Had to use it on my Heep and the filter was on the side of the block! Hateful design.
    i;m so fcking mad that this god damn filter is like super ****ing glued in there what they thic\nk i am hercue,ls!! **** spelling!! im gunna wd40 that son *****
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Time to hit the gym!

HULK ANGRY...HULK SMAAAAAAAASH!

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Trans Am is on blocks

Time to hit the gym!

HULK ANGRY...HULK SMAAAAAAAASH!
    the hulk couldn't undo this mother ****er and he can lift cars.....i've been twisting so ****king much it hink i tore a muscle in my arm
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

SpeedRacer,

What are you using to help you remove it ? A filter strap ? You might try removing that front plastic undertray - you'll gain a little more room to work which could give you extra leverage.

Good luck.
    Old, but not slow.

i said **** it i'll change it later.....
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    A bigass channel-lock does the trick.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Buy a filter wrench. They're cheap.

I have about a dozen now and every time I buy another car or another brand of filter, I have to buy another wrench. Eventually, I'll have so many that no matter which size filter I buy, I'll have the right size. Right now, that seems unlikely. The possibilities seem to be endless.

misterx

Originally posted by MisterX
    Buy a filter wrench. They're cheap.

I have about a dozen now and every time I buy another car or another brand of filter, I have to buy another wrench. Eventually, I'll have so many that no matter which size filter I buy, I'll have the right size. Right now, that seems unlikely. The possibilities seem to be endless.

misterx
    i've never seen or heard of an oil filter wrench!?
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    It's like a giant, multi-sided socket that fits over the wrench "sides" (dunno what to call them!) on the end of the filter. As mentioned by MisterX, they tend to be different for every filter. My local Checker caries about 15 different sizes, none of which actually fit! Hence the big channel locks. I already had them, but if you buy them instead of a filter wrench, they have all sorts of uses other than filters. The same goes for a strap wrench, but I've had less luck with them. The screwdriver trick didn't work on my stock filter - it was on so tight that I just started to tear the filter rather than turn it. So I got out the Channels and now I just use them every change.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    It's like a giant, multi-sided socket that fits over the wrench "sides" (dunno what to call them!) on the end of the filter. As mentioned by MisterX, they tend to be different for every filter. My local Checker caries about 15 different sizes, none of which actually fit! Hence the big channel locks. I already had them, but if you buy them instead of a filter wrench, they have all sorts of uses other than filters. The same goes for a strap wrench, but I've had less luck with them. The screwdriver trick didn't work on my stock filter - it was on so tight that I just started to tear the filter rather than turn it. So I got out the Channels and now I just use them every change.
    ya i picked up the strap wrench and i'm going to tackle it after iget back from the mustang show
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

filter wrench, absolitely, but another thing that works is those rubber jar openers. i'ts like a sheet of rubber paper.

good luck

dR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.