is it me or? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on is it me or? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by dark_rex filter wrench, absolitely, but another thing that works is those rubber jar openers. i'ts like a ...

Originally posted by dark_rex
    filter wrench, absolitely, but another thing that works is those rubber jar openers. i'ts like a sheet of rubber paper.

good luck

dR
    ya those yellow rubber gloves that u see people using while the mob or some crap works good i'll try a rubber jar opener and if it doesn' work then i'll just unbolt the try and slap on the strap wrench and turn like there is no tomororw then when and if i get it off i will run up and down the neihborhood screaming w00t
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pug
    If anyone's curious, I snapped a picture of SpeedRacerWRX02 working on his oil filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oilfilter.jpg  

This is what we use. It's a little pricey at $25 but when you consider the time saved, ease of work, and reduced nicks/cuts from slipping tools, it's worth every penny. You can buy it off the truck if you don't want to wait for shipping:

http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_de...re&dir=catalog

Reversible too, so you don't have to worry about oil leaks from hand tightening the filter.

Alin
    Last edited by ProdriveMS; 09-08-2002 at 12:40 PM.

Originally posted by Pug
    If anyone's curious, I snapped a picture of SpeedRacerWRX02 working on his oil filter.
    hahah hey i thought i saw you running away laughing while i was in my tizzy fit.....(did i just say tizzy fit)
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by ProdriveMS
    This is what we use. It's a little pricey at $25 but when you consider the time saved, ease of work, and reduced nicks/cuts from slipping tools, it's worth every penny. You can buy it off the truck if you don't want to wait for shipping:

http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_de...re&dir=catalog

Reversible too, so you don't have to worry about oil leaks from hand tightening the filter.

Alin
    but once u get it off once your fine because u hand tighten it the rest of the times so if i tighten it i can loosen it ya know
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02

.....(did i just say tizzy fit)
    It's not that you said it...it's that you had one in the first place

They are tough mo'fo's to get off....

boxman
    The meek shall inherit the earth, then we'll take it away from them....

Originally posted by boxman

It's not that you said it...it's that you had one in the first place

They are tough mo'fo's to get off....

boxman
    haha i was mad when i couldn't get that damn thing off
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Hmm, I never had a problem with the filter, but the plug was on soo tight I would rock the car even with the e-brake on. A smaller friend got under the car and braced his feet against a frame crossbar to get enough leverage.

Originally posted by Retro
    Hmm, I never had a problem with the filter, but the plug was on soo tight I would rock the car even with the e-brake on. A smaller friend got under the car and braced his feet against a frame crossbar to get enough leverage.
    for the plug i just put my foot in front of the tire and pulled and it came off no problem
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I think K&N was really on to somthing with their oil filters. They come with a 1" nut on the back of them so you could use a 1" socket and/or breaker bar. Nice. Not sure about the filter itself, as I never used it, but that at least was a nice idea.
    I own various Miatas and RX-7's in race trim
    One or two of them actually run now :-)
    Soon to posess a Scooby...

Originally posted by GV27
    It's like a giant, multi-sided socket that fits over the wrench "sides" (dunno what to call them!) on the end of the filter. As mentioned by MisterX, they tend to be different for every filter. My local Checker caries about 15 different sizes, none of which actually fit! Hence the big channel locks. I already had them, but if you buy them instead of a filter wrench, they have all sorts of uses other than filters. The same goes for a strap wrench, but I've had less luck with them. The screwdriver trick didn't work on my stock filter - it was on so tight that I just started to tear the filter rather than turn it. So I got out the Channels and now I just use them every change.
    Make sure you get one that has thin walls. Don't get the orange combination set that supposedly fits 95% of all filters. Although it fits the filter, you can't use it because there is a heat shield right next to the filter.

The filter location is the worst I have seen in my life. I drained the engine for a good 15 minutes before taking the filter off. As I was unscrewing the filter, all this oil came gushing out, making my hands slippery and unable to quickly finish the job. With my old car, once the engine was drained, the filter could be taken off without any oil coming out. My second complaint is the location of the plastic underbody. Part of it sits right under the filter and collects the oil. I have never spilled so much oil during an oil change and I have always changed my own oil. I ended up cutting a bit of the plastic part to make it easier for next time.
    Thanks,
    Ali

It is normal to have additional oil come out when you remove the filter even though you drained the oil pan. There is quite a bit of oil in the filter itself so as you start to undo it, that oil will come gushing out. I have yet to change the oil on a car where this doesn't happen and I've done countless oil changes when I worked at a quick change oil shop in high school.

The problem with strap wrenches and channel locks is that they can all slip and they don't always fit the filter properly. They are all poor solutions to a simple problem. If you want to do it right and with almost no chance of injury, get the Snap-on tool I listed earlier in this thread. It's what Subaru Rally Team USA uses and it's the best for the job.

Alin

Originally posted by ProdriveMS
    It is normal to have additional oil come out when you remove the filter even though you drained the oil pan. There is quite a bit of oil in the filter itself so as you start to undo it, that oil will come gushing out. I have yet to change the oil on a car where this doesn't happen and I've done countless oil changes when I worked at a quick change oil shop in high school.

The problem with strap wrenches and channel locks is that they can all slip and they don't always fit the filter properly. They are all poor solutions to a simple problem. If you want to do it right and with almost no chance of injury, get the Snap-on tool I listed earlier in this thread. It's what Subaru Rally Team USA uses and it's the best for the job.

Alin
    I guess it depends on the location of the oil filter. I used to have a Toyota MR2 and the filter was an angle with the bottom of the filter lower than the top. It was one of the easiest oil jobs. There was plenty of room to rotate the filter and if the pan was empty, only a few drops of oil would come out. I have learned my lesson now; I need to buy latex gloves and an oil pan with a larger opening.
    Thanks,
    Ali

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12