Car battery is dead

This is a discussion on Car battery is dead within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think my car battery is dead for some reason. I went on a week long trip and came home ...

Car battery is dead

I think my car battery is dead for some reason. I went on a week long trip and came home to find that my car wouldn't start, so I jumped it and let it run for 10 min or so. After that I turned it off and tried to start it again, but it wouldn't so I tried to jump it again, but it wouldn't jump. Does anyone know what is wrong? Should I buy a new battery, if so which one would be good?
    -Eric
    Originally posted by lanevoell
    stand up for yourself, painter!
    Wesome +1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have jumper cables on there connected to a good battery... then it should start up if it were only the battery. You may have other problems... consult your local stealership and make em fix it under warranty.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    If you have jumper cables on there connected to a good battery... then it should start up if it were only the battery. You may have other problems... consult your local stealership and make em fix it under warranty.
    I'm going to try to jump it again and let it run. Hopefully the charge will stay.
    -Eric
    Wesome +1

J-H
    The stocker is HORRIBLE....I have replaced the thing.....it started to take longer and longer to start the car.....

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

The alternator may have given up the ghost.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

If you can get to an Autozone....they will check your charging system for free.....could be alternator or battery....
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

Any verdict yet?

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H
    The stocker is HORRIBLE....I have replaced the thing.....it started to take longer and longer to start the car.....

Hell yeah it is thats the first thing that I did...Optima Red top!
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

make the dealer fix it!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    Any verdict yet?
    Yeah I took it to a sear's auto center and had them check the alternator, battery, and starter for $10. They told me that everything thing was ok, but the battery would not charge at all so I needed to buy a new one. I ended up just buying a Diehard gold series battery because they didn't have any Optimas that would fit the WRX. It works now at least...
    -Eric
    Wesome +1

wow, what'd you do? you got a bumpin stereo or what?? talk about premature death of a battery.

EDIT: his readings on the battery were probably wrong since a battery not taking a charge would be dead. only makes sense.

WRX
    I found out this morning that I need a new battery. What type of batteries fit the WRX, and where can I purchase them? I know about the optima red top, but any other good ones?
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

running the car for a little while will not charge the battery. in that scenario, you'd have to run it all day long. once the car is running, the alternator gives the car its electrical power and the battery really doesn't recieve that much for it. it's like an old wive's tale that only works in the case where your battery was just run down a little bit. what you'd really need in that case is an actual battery charger.

what kind of battery? i used to buy die-hards or interstates. if a asubaru battery wasn't much more $$, i'd get that instead though. toyota truestart batteries are really good too.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    wow, what'd you do? you got a bumpin stereo or what?? talk about premature death of a battery.

EDIT: his readings on the battery were probably wrong since a battery not taking a charge would be dead. only makes sense.
    A battery can still show 13.8 volts, but not take a charge. You have to take measurements while the battery and/or alternator are under load.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    A battery can still show 13.8 volts, but not take a charge. You have to take measurements while the battery and/or alternator are under load.
    a fully charged battery is 12.6 volts, so any reading beyond that was taken incorrectly and inaccurate. it sad how common it for people to take such measurements as fact.

ideally, you measure the battery voltage after its been sitting for a long time, ie. in the morning before start up. by starting the car, the alternator will charge the battery and battery voltage measured directly afterwards will read as a surface charge and is incorrect. you would turn on the headlights with engine off to bleed off the surface charge until it has stabilized, then you take a reading which always has to be lower than 12.6 volts.

if the alternator puts out more than 12.6 volts (should be anywhere from 13.5-15 volts) and the battery readings are still bad, then the battery may not be taking charge. I'm very skeptical of people who do testing on a cars charging system and say the battery is anything above 12.6 volts, because they obviously have no clue what they are saying. it may have been simply a loose or dirty connection at the B+ cable and simply by disconnecting and reconnecting it a few times, it cleaned that connection enough to function normally.